Staff Software Engineer, iOS
Slack, San Francisco
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.
Slack Platform’s mission is to make interactions between people and software delightful. We make it easier for you to integrate the software you use every day, streamline internal workflows, and discover and integrate new software solutions. Slack is looking for a Staff iOS Engineer based in San Francisco to join the App Experience efforts on our Developer Platform.
A taste of our scale and reach:
- Users spend over 10 hours connected and 2+ hours active in Slack every work day
- 1.5 billion messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States
- Every day we see over 3.5 million simultaneously connected users, over 3.5 billion web requests, and our systems see over 1 million queries/second in our caching tier
- We have 8.8M+ app installations with 155,000 weekly active developers building on the platform
- 90% of our paid customers on Slack actively use apps
A few of the product surfaces this team owns:
- Block Kit: a UI framework for Slack Apps
- Actions: simple contextual ways for users to initiate App workflows
- Dialogs: richer workflows with expanded user inputs
… and more to come.
Slack Platform Engineering has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like you, we would love to talk.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
Platform App Experience is charged with building out user-facing capabilities that enable developers to build engaging and useful apps. Our team is composed of mobile, frontend, and backend engineers that work closely with product, design, and other cross-functional partners to prototype new ideas and bring them to market. We are looking for an exceptional people manager who is passionate about building great teams, delivering value to our developers, and bringing a great experience to our users.
The ideal candidate will be able to:
- Plan and implement resilient, performant, and delightful interfaces in the Slack iOS client to interact with our third party apps and integrations
- Mentor, coach, and inspire other engineers on the team
- Craft a meaningful technical vision for the team
- Ensure we meet our commitments to ship high-quality software, clearly communicating across the product development team regarding key milestones or any time there are risks to our commitments
What you should have
- You have 8+ years of experience as a software engineer.
- You have expertise in developing in both Objective-C and Swift.
- Experience developing highly performant code and the ability to diagnose performance bottlenecks.
- Experience working closely with product teams, designers, and other developers to create a truly delightful mobile experience.
- You love helping engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers. You don’t shy away from hard conversations.
- You’re excited to explain complex technical concepts and share your knowledge with diverse audiences both within the team and across the organization.
- You can contemplate several, and often conflicting, constraints and make rapid decisions.
- You can anticipate future technical needs for the code base and craft plans to realize them.
- You have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Empathy. Courtesy. Playfulness. Craftsmanship. Solidarity — these are some of the values we live by, as a company. We work by them, too: we’re building a platform and products we believe in — knowing there is real value to be gained from helping people, wherever they are, simplify whatever it is that they do and bring more of themselves to their work.
We’re building a strong, diverse team of curious, creative people who want to find a purpose in their work and support each other in the process. We work hard and we play to win… within normal business hours. And then we go home.
That balance is important: It enables us to truly do the best work of our lives. As a result, we create a place where all kinds of work happens — and happens well — all while working alongside people we respect and admire.