Principal Product Designer
Slack, San Francisco
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.
Our team is looking for a Principal Designer to help shape the future of Slack. In this role you will be responsible for the quality of the overarching Slack experience, working closely with designers and engineers across the org to envision, design, and prototype new products, features, and marketing.
Slack designers serve a vital role at the company, from creating the vision for new features, to the craft and finish of every detail in the product. We appreciate designers who think deeply, speak clearly, and embrace collaboration and feedback.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- Collaborate with Design Directors and the Head of Design to drive design vision and strategy for Slack
- Collaborate with senior engineers to rapidly prototype and test new features and product concepts
- Own the development of Slack’s in-product visual design and branding, and motion design standards
- Partner cross-functionally with product and engineering leadership to represent the design team, lead design initiatives, and provide feedback in planning and product channel
- Work with designers across product teams and lead broad, organizational-wide initiatives, such as improving Slack’s design system and mobile design practices
- Help guide, improve, and implement design and feedback processes
- Be an active mentor for other designers, and help lead critique, design reviews, quarterly planning, and sprint planning
- Recruit and interview designers, and actively improve our inclusive design hiring process
- Be a vocal and public proponent for Slack design, help build our design community
What you should have
- 15+ years of extensive experience in a leading individual contributor role, on a product design team for desktop or mobile
- An outstanding portfolio, showcasing a foundation in typography, interaction and visual design, marketing design, and idea generation
- A track record of mentoring designers and design teams towards top performance
- Experience working and collaborating with diverse teams in a dynamic, rapid growth environment
- Extensive experience closely partnering with product managers to develop the strategy and rationale for features
- Extensive experience with prototyping as a means to explore and convey design solutions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Bonus - proficient in web technologies; Can personally build on Slack’s tech stack
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Empathy. Courtesy. Playfulness. Craftsmanship. Solidarity — these are some of the values we live by, as a company. We work by them, too: we’re building a platform and products we believe in — knowing there is real value to be gained from helping people, wherever they are, simplify whatever it is that they do and bring more of themselves to their work.
We’re building a strong, diverse team of curious, creative people who want to find a purpose in their work and support each other in the process. We work hard and we play to win… within normal business hours. And then we go home.
That balance is important: It enables us to truly do the best work of our lives. As a result, we create a place where all kinds of work happens — and happens well — all while working alongside people we respect and admire.