Senior Software Engineer - Security
Slack, San Francisco
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.
Our Security team supports the unwritten fourth tenet of Slack’s mission: make people’s working lives more secure. We’re serious about protecting our infrastructure, operations, and most importantly, our customers’ data. We take a systemic approach to security, and strive to ensure we provide low friction high-impact security across everything we do. We’re looking for a senior developer to help lead our Security Engineering team. Significant in-field experience is not a hard requirement, but an interest in security and a deep desire to know and answer “why” is.
We’d like you to have the vision to identify areas where we can fundamentally make Slack more secure, then propose, build and operate tools to see that to fruition. The role includes significant autonomy towards defining problem spaces and a mandate to build viable tools which are both internally and externally facing. A significant part of this job is meant to attract a multidisciplinary engineer; you probably feel skeptical of any job posting with the “word” DevOps in it, but that’s what you do. We don’t work directly on hardening systems; we’d ask for your help in evaluating tooling pragmatically, and look for you to know when the right time is to spend some money, or when months of development would be advantageous.
- Develop novel software that helps Slack be more secure.
- Creatively scale & operate the infrastructure & tools that handle millions of events per second. Participate in an on-call rotation to support these tools.
- Identify and develop new features & a roadmap to augment existing tools to protect Slack’s production infrastructure and to help make our business lives simpler, more pleasant, more productive (and more secure).
- Curiosity. Creativity.
- Proficiency both in a practical systems programming language & the shell of your choice.
- This is a role afforded the latitude to define workstreams, and entrusted to approach engineering problems as an art form. You want to empower your coworkers with the easy maintainability of code you’ve collaborated on, and you take pride in the craftsmanship of your efforts.
- Motivation to solve root causes of problems, not to patch over quick fixes. This is at the root of our goal to be on-call for our own services. On-call shouldn’t suck.
- An ability to work with other teams. The brilliant jerk need not apply.
- Broad exposure to various security disciplines and deeper understanding of models and principles behind core security concepts such as MFA and securely managing secrets or tokens.
- 3+ years of software development experience
- Golang: we’ve written wide reaching tools in golang, but we aren’t wedded to it.
- Ansible: it’s not that bad, and helps us move quickly, but any configuration management tool is applicable.
- Elasticsearch / Kibana: You can readily access information & love metrics
Empathy. Courtesy. Playfulness. Craftsmanship. Solidarity — these are some of the values we live by, as a company. We work by them, too: we’re building a platform and products we believe in — knowing there is real value to be gained from helping people, wherever they are, simplify whatever it is that they do and bring more of themselves to their work.
We’re building a strong, diverse team of curious, creative people who want to find a purpose in their work and support each other in the process. We work hard and we play to win… within normal business hours. And then we go home.
That balance is important: It enables us to truly do the best work of our lives. As a result, we create a place where all kinds of work happens — and happens well — all while working alongside people we respect and admire.
Want to learn more about Slack? Visit Slack's website.
Jobs You May Like
Data Science Platform Engineer
TripAdvisor, Needham, MA
Site Reliability Engineer
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, Redwood City
Technical Program Manager
PlayStation, Waterloo, Ontario
Senior Software Engineer - Barcelona
Machine Learning Engineer, Universal Search
Pinterest, San Francisco, CA
Agile Practice Lead - Product Design
Pivotal Software, Anywhere in the USA