Engineering Manager, Cloud Infrastructure
Slack, Remote, United States
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.
About the Team
The Cloud Infrastructure Engineering team is composed of Cloud Engineers, Engineering Managers, Technical Program Managers and Project Managers, working to make Slack more performant, available & cost-efficient each day. We’re driving innovations through self service tooling and ensuring that Slack is performant and available to each and every one of our millions of daily active users. We take on unique scaling problems for a global customer base and write software to automate and manage our cloud footprint. We advise teams within Slack on how to maximize their value from the cloud and ultimately aim to build a culture of service ownership where engineering teams can self manager their infrastructure. We get excited about Cloud technology and working on fascinating scaling challenges very few in the industry have experienced.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
About the Role
What you will be doing
We are looking for an engineering manager to lead the Cloud Infrastructure team in our Core Infrastructure pillar. We provide the foundational Cloud infrastructure that every team at Slack relies on to maintain their services.
We need someone who can guide a cohesive, highly productive team through effective engineering processes and policies. You will set and fulfill the engineering hiring plan for the team, including sourcing, screening, and interviewing. You should understand the technical decisions made by your team and be able to articulate them to varied audiences. You will partner with Infrastructure Engineers, TPMs, Internal Tooling Engineers, and Product Managers, and will be required to gather requirements, prioritize decisions and ensure timely execution. You focus on creating alignment and giving your team the necessary autonomy for them to execute rapidly. You understand the value of career development and can help propel the team forward by facilitating psychologically safe discussions around project progress, process improvements, mentorship, and general satisfaction.
We operate at tremendous scale with systems that process millions of events per second. We maintain and build the underlying Cloud systems that power all of Slack..
We have a strong commitment to quality and understand that simplicity, security and reliability should be primary aspects of the systems that we build. We are a diverse and inclusive team that treats our colleagues exceptionally well.
What you should have:
- You have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- You have 2+ years of Engineering Management experience building productive, high-functioning teams. You can describe why these teams were high-functioning and what you specifically did to ensure engineers felt productive.
- You are a very strong verbal and nonverbal communicator. You are adept at explaining complex technical concepts and share your knowledge with diverse audiences.
- You have mastered the art of requirements-gathering and keeping the team focused on the most important initiatives.
- You can contemplate several—often conflicting—constraints and make rapid decisions.
- You can anticipate future technical needs for the product and craft plans to realize them.
- You excel at building roadmaps and can develop a long-term team vision in partnership with other stakeholders. You can then be accountable for driving project execution.
- You love helping engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers. You don’t shy away from performance conversations and you recognize the relationship between objective feedback and career growth.
- You have a curiosity about how cloud systems work and have hands on experience having worked with AWS
- AWS professional certification(s)
- Prior experience with or knowledge of large scale, high volume systems
- Prior experience reducing cloud costs at scale
Please include with your application:
- Why you’re excited about leading this team
- How you approach engineering management
- A brief description of the team you’re most proud of managing, and your role in helping it succeed
We look forward to working with you!
Empathy. Courtesy. Playfulness. Craftsmanship. Solidarity — these are some of the values we live by, as a company. We work by them, too: we’re building a platform and products we believe in — knowing there is real value to be gained from helping people, wherever they are, simplify whatever it is that they do and bring more of themselves to their work.
We’re building a strong, diverse team of curious, creative people who want to find a purpose in their work and support each other in the process. We work hard and we play to win… within normal business hours. And then we go home.
That balance is important: It enables us to truly do the best work of our lives. As a result, we create a place where all kinds of work happens — and happens well — all while working alongside people we respect and admire.
Want to learn more about Slack? Visit Slack's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.