Smarkets is a technology company based in central London. We have built, and continue to expand, one of the world's largest betting exchanges. We believe that effective, low-margin exchanges are integral for proper price discovery in prediction markets. Our strength is technology and trading, with a passion to push the boundaries of real-time financial technology.
We're a growing team of over 100, boasting more than 30 nationalities and our platform has handled several billions of bets since launching in 2010, allowing us to become one of the most profitable companies per employee in Europe.
We're building a reliable, low-latency, highly concurrent system capable of handling thousands of executions per second. Our engineers deploy to production several times a day. As we’re rebuilding our infrastructure on AWS, we’re looking for someone passionate to help us building a low-friction, highly available system.
This is not a traditional DevOps role - more of a fusion between DevOps and Site Reliability Engineering. In fact, Infrastructure Engineers should not maintain systems. They write code and tools to take care of it instead.
- Define your own role within the context of self-management (we'll help you get settled)
- Help make our infrastructure more automated, flexible and robust
- Refine our CI system and release process
- Collaborate with developers to solve system related problems
- Contribute to the organization by advancing culture, challenging colleagues and perpetuating a knowledge-driven environment
- Over 5 years of relevant working experience
- Expert Unix skills
- Experience with configuration management tools, such as Ansible and Chef
- Working knowledge of AWS
- Familiarity with a scripting language, like Bash, Python
- The ability to learn with enthusiasm
- Strong programming knowledge
- Distributed systems design experience
- Solid understanding of network and system security
- Interest in probability, sports and exchanges
- Self-management structure similar to Valve
- Unlimited holiday
- Flexible work environment
- Sit-stand desks with wheels
- Catered meals, drinks, parties on a frequent basis
- Central London office
- Work with some of Europe's smartest software engineers
The salary ranges from £65 - £110k/year including stock options, and other benefits for qualified candidates. Your salary will be determined by peer review.
This is a full-time job based at our office on the 7th floor at 1 Commodity Quay, St Katharine Docks, London, E1W 1AZ.
If you are not confident in your coding abilities, you should reconsider your application for this role. This is a highly technical position, and rigorous testing will be required to qualify each candidates proficiency.
We transfer and store the information you submit to help us process your application and to make our hiring process better. We also make use of third-party hiring tools to help us process applications. As we are based in both Europe and the United States, your data may leave the European Economic Area when we process it. Please only submit your application if you are happy for us to use your information in this way.
About us Smarkets is a Python and Erlang technology company based in central London. We've built one of the world's largest betting exchanges, also known as a prediction market, with significantly better odds than the competition. Our strength is technology and trading and our passion is to push the known boundaries of real-time financial technology. Our platform has handled over £3 billion of bets since launching in 2010, allowing us to become one of the most profitable companies per employee in Europe. Our mission is to disrupt one of the oldest industries in the world by rethinking the method and model of the betting business. We think traditional sports betting rips off bettors, taking up to a 15% margin on bets. We offer the industry's lowest margin of around 1% in total commission on trades. We can and will do better. Smarkets prides itself on collecting individuals seeking challenge, and our team members' experiences show this. Smarkets is comprised of some of the finest financial and adtech engineers, researchers, scientists, PhDs and marketers making us one of the most dynamic workforces in Europe.
Want to learn more about Smarkets? Visit Smarkets's website.
Jobs You May Like
Paytm Labs, Noida, Gurugram
Early Product Development Engineer/Prototyper
Khan Academy, Mountain View, CA
Yelp, San Francisco, CA
Senior Software Engineer, Full Stack Web
FiftyThree, New York
Cloudflare, Austin, TX
Software Engineer Intern - Tel Aviv - Summer 2018
Dropbox, Tel Aviv