Software Engineer, Android
Snap Inc., Paris, France
Creators of Snapchat, Spectacles, Bitmoji, and Zenly
Zenly started in 2011 as a small team of passionate designers, engineers, and entrepreneurs gathered around the idea that frictionless location sharing is the next mobile commodity. Our R&D has brought us to release the best location sharing app in the world ;)
And now, Zenly is the mobile application that lets you instantaneously see where your friends are. We believe that making maps more social and personalised is our opportunity to improve the way people live, communicate and share moments together. Our product empowers people to find themselves, enjoy improvised moments and have fun together.
Our Android app is 50% Java, 50% Kotlin as we develop new features using it and continue to migrate old Java classes to Kotlin. We have an extensive use of RxJava for communicating data flow from and to the UI through various threading mechanisms. As weird as it might sound, we also embed a custom library compiled from Go to help us handle complex heuristics that we can share between iOS and Android (maintained by a separated team even if you are welcome contributing to it).
Zenly is a very graphical app and as such, your work will be split between custom UI components, gestures, lots of animations and architectural challenges driven by the high level of communication between all different parts of the app.
You will work with passionated product and engineering people (mostly pure Android fanboys) to make Zenly one of the best Android app on the Play Store.
You will ensure a high standard of coding, following best practices and continuous integration processes. In your code, you will keep our core values in mind: usability, security and customer service.
- Architecting, developing, maintaining and releasing features as well as contributing to the core foundations of the Zenly mobile app
- Push the limits of mobile devices and create great user experiences
- Evaluate technical tradeoffs of every decision and work with design on the best UI and infrastructure practices
- Write clear, maintainable, portable, and highly functional code
- Accurately estimate schedules and deliver high quality work products to that schedule.
- 5+ years min of experience in developing mobile applications
- Excellent knowledge of the Android SDK (View architecture, Measure/Layout/Draw, Architecture Components, Theming, etc..)
- Strong experience of multi-threading and memory management specific to mobile devices
- Solid software engineering practices (separation of concerns, testing, code reviews, continuous integration, design documentation…)
- Excellent organization, prioritization and time management skills
- Self-motivated and energetic team player with a very strong work ethic and cooperative attitude
- Experience building a mobile app from scratch to the Play Store
- Experience in RxJava
- Experience with maps and geographical data (OpenStreetMap, Vector tiles, GIS)
- Experience with graphics programming and low-level graphics APIs ((DirectX/OpenGL/equivalent)
Our office is big and comfortable with a fully equipped kitchen (including unlimited snacks and drinks), rest areas and sound isolation booths. Everyone at Zenly is provided with a spacious desk and top of the line computer and phone to help you build your own workspace.
We also offer a great package to all our employees including:
- Handling of relocation/visa procedure
- Competitive compensation and equity
- Advantageous health coverage extendable to your family (including super great dental and vision coverage)
- Flexible time off policy
- Great environment, with breakfast every morning!
- Full public transport reimbursement
- Meal card for lunch
- Opportunity to build one of the world’s most iconic consumer brands
- Team offsites in awesome places
We are more interested in your experiences and projects, past and current, than your résumé. We'd rather hear about these and what you think you'll bring to the team. GitHub and Twitter usernames are also useful to share. All applications should be made in English.
About Snap Inc.
Snap Inc. is a camera company. We believe that reinventing the camera represents our greatest opportunity to improve the way people live and communicate. So far, we've created two products: Snapchat and Spectacles!
Want to learn more about Snap Inc.? Visit Snap Inc.'s website.
Jobs You May Like
Principal Engineer - Backend (Technology)
Andela, New York, USA, Boston, USA, Lagos, Nigeria, Cairo, Al Qahirah, Egypt, Nairobi, Kenya.