Through our publishers, Sovrn Holdings reaches over 200 million people every day, generating over 9 billion ad calls daily. These requests must be processed in less than 250 milliseconds, and result in several petabytes of data on a monthly basis. The exciting technical problems we solve require a world class team and engineering culture to deliver against our mission.
About the Team
As a member of Data Engineering team, you will help drive the evolution of this platform towards increased resiliency, scalability and reliability in a cloud-native and flexible architecture. Our competitive advantage as a company depends on this platform being among the best in the world, and that world moves very rapidly. Since we live on the emerging edge of what’s possible, our team is made up of people who love to learn.
About the job
The Data team manages the ingest of our real-time ad activity streams (billions of events per day) as well as curating petabytes of data for our Data Science and Application Engineering teams. This data powers our current and all future products.
What you’ll be doing:
- Designing and building the next generation of our data platform
- Lead projects and demonstrate end-to-end ownership of projects and initiatives
- Contribute software engineering best practices and technical excellence through code reviews and mentorship of junior engineers
- Support our existing platform - ingest, curation and export of data assets - and identify areas for improvement in stability, resiliency, scale or speed
- Partner with application development, data science, and external data partners to enable business deliverables
- Partner with QA automation engineering to validate pipelines
- Troubleshoot systemic issues and lead improvements
- Working with a team of outstanding software engineers and data scientists, covering a wide range of experience and perspectives at massive scale.
- Breaking down a full project plan in to incremental deliveries, and tracking your work against those steps
- Learning new tech and new ways to apply what you already know
You’re driven, thoughtful, and curious. You understand that making software do the right thing is only part of the battle - you also must think about what can cause your software to fail. You’re comfortable working with a wide variety of people, and respect the perspectives of those that disagree with you. Above all, you love learning, and sharing what you know.
The successful candidate will have:
- 5+ years' software engineering experience and a passion for learning
- Understanding of real time and batch pipelines, big data, data pipelines, and/or data lakes
- Experience with cloud data processing tools in the AWS ecosystem: think EMR, Spark, Hive, Kafka, etc.
- Strong Java and Object-Oriented skills
- An analytical mindset with problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Desire for professional growth opportunities and to be in a dynamic learning environment
- Ability to efficiently multi-task and to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees to maximize performance, creativity, problem solving and results
This position reports to: Director, Data Platform Engineering
We spend a great deal of our time online. Whether it’s for information, commerce, or entertainment, each of us has come to depend on what we research, discover, and share. Publishers – those who create and curate content – are what makes the Internet great. Yet these publishers practice their craft largely alone, in siloes – without reference points or insightful understanding about where they sit in the grand scheme of things. To add to the challenge, once a Publisher’s content is in the wild, then the task of building engagement, growing a loyal following and enriching the engagement with that following can sometimes feel like shots in the dark or worse, a black box. Moreover, making money from their craft can be a complex task for any independent publisher who might prioritize generating content first and money second.
Sovrn believes that independent publishers are the Internet's vibrancy. As a partner and advocate to tens of thousands of independent publishers, Sovrn provides tools, technologies and services that help publishers (a) make money; (b) get distribution to grow their audience; and (c) access a massive data commons providing extraordinary insights.
The landscape of content networks, adtech vendors, and the myriad of buy-side / sell-side companies can be a complete maze for any reasonable person to decipher. Sovrn cuts through the noise and simplifies things with a basic, straightforward mission:
Help content creators do more of what they want to do – and less of what they don’t
Sovrn is an Equal Opportunity Employer!
About us Sovrn believes content creators and publishers are the soul of the Internet. Their content is what makes the Internet great. That’s why we give content creators tools to make money, access to distribution and scale to grow their audience, and a massive data commons for extraordinary insights. At Sovrn we don’t just plug into the online advertising ecosystem. We own & operate a proprietary ad technology stack with direct connections to every major buyer in the world. Sovrn is headquartered in Boulder, Colo. with offices in Denver, New York and London.
Want to learn more about Sovrn? Visit Sovrn's website.
Jobs You May Like
PlayStation, Los Angeles, CA
Senior Software Engineer
Senior /Software Engineer, (Front End & Chrome Extension)
Fullstack Engineer, ATX
Mixpanel, Austin, Texas
Blue Star Sports
Blue Star Sports, Denver, CO
Senior iOS Engineer - NYC
N26, New York City