Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the world’s largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its own space data APIs, we enable software developers to deploy and operate their constellation and software application with Spire’s trusted global infrastructure, giving people a fast-track to scale their business in space. Spire Maritime monitors $17.1 trillion of global trade, Spire Aviation provides aircraft tracking data to the $2 trillion aviation industry, and our weather data is used by public agencies providing weather predictions to protect lives and prevent the loss of property for almost a billion people.
We are hiring everything from fresh graduates to highly experienced software professionals in the US (where the company started), Glasgow (where we build our spaceships), Sweden (where we have a big data competency center), Luxembourg (where many of our business leads are located).
Software at Spire
Software is critical to everything we do, be it the firmware that runs our software defined radios, the schedule optimization systems that route data through our network of satellites and ground stations, or data big data analytics pipelines that transform observations into easily actionable information.
Our software applications run on a platform that uses Concourse for CI, ArgoCD for deployment, Kubernetes for Compute, Vault for secrets and Prometheus for metrics. We build software applications using the technologies we deem to be most fit for purpose, Rust for high performance optimization systems, C/C++/Rust for embedded, Go and Java and Flink and Kafka for big data, Python for glue code, and so forth.
Being vertically integrated means there is something to challenge anyone no matter your area of interest: cloud infrastructure, multi-tenancy security for our space program, FPGA code doing signal processing, firmware running on microcontrollers, weather forecasting software running on specialized supercomputing hardware, or web services providing the world’s most accurate picture of of a range of phenomena that shape decision making.
Spire’s software organization believes in the value of
- Thinking and leveraging expertise internally before coding by creating Technical Proposals and crowdsourcing input on them
- Using DevSecOps to achieve high speed and efficient iterations
- Giving people room to take initiative and propose creative solutions
- Managing your own time rather than having someone tell you what to do
- Working in a way that enables people to be equally effective whether they’re in the same room or on the same continent
- Having an ownership mentality when it comes to uptime and cloud costs – avoid incidents, when they happen respond effectively, and run our systems without wasting money
Several teams are hiring engineering managers. The exact responsibilities will depend on what the team you are hired for has ownership of. You’ll drive the development and execution of the roadmap across application development, testing, deployment, and operations.
You will interface with other ICs and engineering managers internally, the product function, our technical program managers, and others. You’ll develop elegant technical solutions to customer needs together with your team of developers distributed between Europe and the US.
You will make sure the technical vision of the team is aligned with business priorities and implemented on time and on quality. This includes supporting the bottom up ideation, creation, and curation of technical proposals that is core to Spire’s culture.
Lastly but most importantly you’ll be responsible for making sure that the people on your team experience personal growth and amazing achievements.
- Intrinsic interest in developing people and helping them deliver at their full potential
- Computer science degree or equivalent work experience
- Experience working in compiled and interpreted languages
- Growth mindset without dogmatic attachment to specific languages or technologies
- Excellent communications skills
- Alignment with our core values: global, reliable, unbounded, faster, relentless, collaborative
- Desire to operate autonomously
- Desire to achieve mastery in your domain
- Comfortable with iterating and re-evaluating projects and plans as needs evolve
- Experience delivering projects on time and on quality
Nice to haves
- Working knowledge of cloud and infrastructure-as-code tooling such as Kubernetes, Terraform, Vault, ArgoCD, Ansible, Chef
- Strong relational and non-relational database skills
- We could write a very long list of what would be beneficial at Spire but in short any other skills are also nice to have. You can never have too many skills. Especially when you work at a company that is solving problems across a broad and deep range of engineering disciplines.
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.
Our mission is to give every person the power to control their own mental and physical health by capturing realtime bio-signals and making the data useful and actionable. We are the recognized market leader in continuous respiration sensing, real-time interventions, and actionable feedback. Our Spire Stone product is sold in Apple Stores globally, we’ve received over 1200 five-star Amazon reviews, and we’re recommended by thousands of health professionals worldwide. Our platform processes over 20 billion data-points per day and our reach extends across the globe. Having experienced continuous growth since launch, we continue to invest in extending the breadth and scope of the outcomes our technology can deliver. We are currently working with partners across a range of mental and physical health conditions such as sleep, asthma, COPD, respiratory depression, and more. We are a small, diverse team dedicated to providing easy ways for people to improve their health. Our team includes leaders in hardware and software engineering, algorithms, marketing, healthcare, and operations from four different continents.
Want to learn more about Spire? Visit Spire's website.
If you're passionate about trading & technology, you'll find success.
Tech Jobs For You
Associate, Growth Strategy & Operations - Drive
DoorDash, New York, NY; San Francisco, CA; Denver, CO