Engineering Manager, Data
Spot Hero, Chicago, IL, United States, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
See jobs at Spot Hero
SpotHero is seeking an Engineering Manager with a background in Data. You will join the Data Tribe which consists of Business Analytics, Data Engineering, Data Science and SHIQ.
We are looking for a human that is both an Engineer and a Manager.
For the squads you are allocated to, you own all technology solutions and ensure high-quality code is produced through ensuring adherence to engineering best practices. This human will have a hand in all the aspects that go into leading a successful team - including recruiting new and retaining existing humans, owning operating budgets, and working with our engineers and product managers.
Who we are:
SpotHero is one of transportation's hottest tech companies! We’re rapidly growing with the mission of bringing the parking industry into the future through technology. Drivers across the nation use the SpotHero mobile app or website to reserve convenient, affordable parking in advance, on-the-go or through their connected cars, and parking companies rely on us to help them reach new customers while optimizing their business. We connect the dots with cutting-edge technology, delivering value to both sides of this exciting, evolving marketplace.
What will you do:
- Help lead our initiatives across infrastructure, operations, IT, and security.
- Work with our engineers and product managers in the design and implementation of infrastructure and hosting for our platforms.
- Take the lead on maintaining our PCI compliance and practices.
- Work with external security consultants and internal staff to build a security-first mindset approach to infrastructure and operations.
- Own the operating budgets for all of our Cloud-based hosting and internal IT needs.
- Recruit, retain, and grow great infrastructure and operations engineers and staff.
- Work across the business to establish a lightweight and modern approach to internal IT support and solutions.
- Lead efforts around incident management & Level 2 support in a 24X7 context.
- Own, operate, and maintain all technology solutions for these squad(s). This includes managing the rotating on-call incident escalation and response processes for the squad.
- You know that Quality is much more than just tests or peer review and you strive to improve the quality whilst balancing with the need to complete work\
- Keep the squad(s) evolving and learning e.g. put in place development best practices to ensure the team produces high-quality, well-written, and tested code.
- Secure and safeguard data to preserve its integrity, reliability, and availability and ensure appropriate access levels are maintained.
- Create a healthy balance between features and reduction of technical debt.
- Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Product Designers, other Engineering Managers, to ensure the team has a clear direction and priorities and are meeting product requirements.
- Measure metrics like velocity and determine ways to shorten the SDLC by uncovering the teams’ blockers and helping to remove them.
- Drive innovation at documentation, process and project levels, defining new processes and consistently improving existing processes.
- Continue your own growth in usage of technology and working with Humans.
- Lead reviews of architecture and system design. Look for and understand the interconnection between your squads and other squads in Engineering.
- Support the improvement of SDLC, Career Packages, Domain Driven Design, Onboarding, Quality Plans and other projects across Engineering.
- Be an industry thought leader, participating in public speaking events and meetups to showcase SpotHero as a leader in technology.
- You represent well the organization OKRs, principles and values. You may be an industry thought leader, participating in public speaking events and meetups to showcase SpotHero as a leader in technology.
The following experience is relevant to us:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science with 7+ years experience as an engineer using Python, Java or Kotlin on multiple projects on complex distributed polyglot systems.
- Worked with cloud infrastructure, we use mostly AWS.
- Proven ability to understand and vocalize opinions about coding style, design patterns, architecture, scaling
- Familiar with Object Oriented Design, Domain Driven Design, Event Driven services
- 4+ years experience of engineering management experience leading a team of 4+ people working on a distributed system in Java, Kotlin, or Python.
- Demonstrable experience mentoring and coaching reports to their desired career goals.
- Demonstrable experience with small teams that move fast - all members are expected to be able to achieve maximum results with minimal direction.
- Has experience of the Data side of Engineering e.g. Data Modelling, Pipelining, Data Processing Frameworks and Infrastructure
- Has directly worked with Data Engineers, Data Scientists and Analysts
Nice to have:
- Hands on experience with multiple data platforms and tools (eg. S3, Redshift, Airflow, Spark, Presto, Hive).
- Familiarity of data science analysis and modeling packages in Python and/or R (including Pandas, Scikit-Learn, NumPy, Matplotlib/Seaborn/some other visualization tool).
- Worked on complex distributed polyglot systems as a software engineer and/or Manager
Technology we use:
Our Android Stack is: Kotlin and XML (standard for Android apps) using MVI architecture (still working on refactoring old views), our database layer is built in Realm. We also make heavy use of Dagger, RxJava, Espresso (testing). Network stack uses Retrofit.
Our iOS Stack is: Swift using MVC architecture, CoreData for Data, XCUI for UI Testing, XCTest for Unit testing, SPM for Package Management, Fastlane for app automation and build scripts, Bitrise for CI, and Sentry and Firebase Crashlytics for crash reporting.
Our Back End Stack is: Monolith using Django/Python. We are starting to extract specific domains to Services currently using Java, Kotlin and Go. We also use Docker, deploy our apps via Kubernetes. We use Kafka for asynchronous-, and gRPC for synchronous service-to-service communication. Our Integrations are on a .Net, moving to Kotlin.
Our Front End Stack is: Our Front End stack is React/Redux, Sass, Jest/React Testing Library/Cypress, and Webpack. We maintain a private npm repository with shareable UI components, utility functions, Babel/ESLint/Prettier configurations, and custom tasks.
Our Data Stack is: Our Monolith Database is Postgres and Redis for caching. We also use Redshift as our data warehouse and S3 as our data lake. The data lake is queried using Presto. We use Airflow and Spark for ETL, as well as do some stream processing (Kafka Streams and Spark at the moment). Our Model pipeline uses scikit-learn, pandas. Our analysts utilize Looker as our Business Intelligence tool. And we use Quicksight for Dashboard on our external Data Products.
- Our Dev Tools Stack is: AWS+Kubernetes for hosting. Terraform + Helm Charts for IaaS/Deployment. ConcourseCI for CI/CD. Prometheus/Alertmanager/VictorOps for team alerting. We’re starting to work on multi-region available services.
What we are offering:
- Career game changer – A truly unique experience to work for a fast-growing startup in a role with unlimited potential for growth.
- Excellent benefits – We cover 90% of Medical Premiums, 50% of Dental & Vision Premiums, and offer company sponsored Life Insurance.
- Flexible PTO policy, generous parental leave, and great work/life balance – We value and support each individual team member.
- Fun perks like snacks, catered lunches, happy hours, wellness programs, and SpotHero swag.
- Annual parking stipend (duh – we help people park!).
- The opportunity to collaborate with fun, innovative, and passionate people in a casual, yet highly productive atmosphere.
- A workplace recognized as the Best Consumer Web Company by Built in Chicago, Top Company Culture by Entrepreneur, a Top Workplace by Chicago Tribune, and one of Chicago’s Best Places to Work for Women Under 35 by Crain’s Chicago Business.
Steps to apply: Please include any GitHub account, LinkedIn profile, and any project that you’re particularly proud of. We love seeing work that others loved working on.
SpotHero is an equal opportunity employer. We know that a diverse workforce is the strongest workforce, and are committed to building and supporting an inclusive environment for all.
PLEASE NOTE: This position is ineligible for visa sponsorship. To be considered for this role, you must be legally authorized to work in the US and not require sponsorship for employment now or in the future.
About Spot Hero
Our Mission We’re on a mission to empower people to get everywhere, easier! By designing better ways to find, reserve and pay for parking, we make life easier, our cities more accessible, and our world more connected. Our Story Since launching in 2011, SpotHero has been paving the way for millions of drivers to easily find affordable parking at more than 5,000 garages, lots, and valets in major U.S. cities. As the #1 downloaded parking reservation app, SpotHero provides easy parking for all, one spot at a time. Based in Chicago, SpotHero is led by founders Mark Lawrence & Larry Kiss.
Want to learn more about Spot Hero? Visit Spot Hero's website.
High-quality tools for hosting, sharing, and streaming videos