Director, FP & A
Spring, NYC - Headquarters
Spring is the top app to shop and discover the best brands.
Spring wants to change the way people shop and the way brands interact with customers. The company was founded in 2013 with the vision to build a digital alternative to traditional brick and mortar retailers: we’re the store that never closes, is available wherever you are in the world, and has impeccable customer service from when you first open the app, to when your purchase arrives at your front door. We’re not constrained by challenges that traditional online retailers face, so we’re delivering a shopping experience that puts our customers first.
Our Finance team is responsible for managing and overseeing elements of treasury, FP&A, budgeting, & AR/AP. By understanding the ins and outs of our finances, this team works collaboratively across departments to sustain the overall health of Spring. They are responsible for the core operation of our business, from planning and strategy to making sure our bills are paid on time.
Until recently, we’ve been running with a small Finance and People Ops Team; looking ahead, we need to scale our processes and systems in order to support the increasing complexity of a growing business. As a result, we are looking for a strategic, analytical, and scrappy Director, FP & A who will join Spring’s Finance Team. This person will be responsible for building out key planning and analysis functions and act as a will be a strategic thought partner to management.
The Director will bring a new level of rigor and insight into Spring’s financial planning and will help make each department successful through thoughtful partnership around budgeting and resource allocation. This is a big role: you’ll be a team of one (at least in the short term) and will need to be comfortable wearing many hats, rolling up your sleeves, and juggling competing priorities.
What you will do:
- Build the company’s three statement consolidated operating model and long-range plan. Update and maintain these as the business grows and our environment changes
- Set KPIs and implement a reporting framework that allows all departments to track performance against targets. Create budgets and financial targets for each department
- Conduct monthly variance analyses and with Department Heads to address significant deviations from plan
- Drive our forecasting function and providing company leadership with analyses and projections to influence key decision-making. This will likely include ad hoc projects on strategic initiatives such as pricing, margin expansion, LTV, CAC
- Work cross-functionally to understand and track core business drivers and outline the resourcing that is necessary to achieve our strategic goals.
- Create and adapt our strategic planning processes; facilitate decisions relating to capital allocation and future capital needs
- Run the annual budgeting and quarterly re-forecast processes. Prepare cash flow forecasts with a strong focus on inventory/working capital needs and capital expenditures
- Perform high level scenario analyses around strategic initiatives to inform decision making. Present this information to management and our board, as needed
- Work with People Ops to implement processes for managing and forecasting headcount planning and comp/ben
What you need to have:
- 8+ years of relevant professional experience, bonus points if you have spent time in a marketplace or ecommerce company
- Experience in a startup, preferably one that has gone through a funding round
- Strong analytical mind paired expert financial modeling skills. While you might not be responsible for building every single Excel spreadsheet, you’ll be the SME on all things related to modeling
- Self-starter with a proven success in startup or similar fast paced environment
- Excellent communication skills. At Spring, a given week could have you presenting at All Hands, speaking to our board, and fielding questions from our Concierge Team. You should be comfortable in all situations
- Understand how to balance the importance of short term and long term goals, as well as prioritize initiatives
- Strong knowledge of GAAP accounting and the metrics and KPIs by which we measure our business
- Prior experience managing and mentoring a team is a nice to have. While this role won’t manage a team from day one, there is potential to grow the team as determined by company needs
Spring is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Inspired by the season and the street, Spring is a single shopping destination where people can discover amazing products and buy them directly from the brands and designers that make them.
Want to learn more about Spring? Visit Spring's website.
Jobs You May Like
Strategic Finance Analyst
Pocket Gems, San Francisco, CA
Sr. Financial Analyst - Corporate
Checkr, San Francisco
Associate, Financial Planning & Analysis
Warby Parker, New York, NY
metromile, Tempe, AZ
Corporate Compliance Manager - Marketing and Advertising Compliance
Endurance International Group, Tempe, AZ
Senior Tech Collection (m/f) | Hamburg
Kreditech, Hamburg Office