Lead Software Engineer - Web
Spring, Headquarters - NYC
Spring is the top app to shop and discover the best brands.
Spring wants to change the way people shop and the way brands interact with customers. The company was founded in 2013 with the vision to build a digital alternative to traditional brick and mortar retailers: we’re the store that never closes, is available wherever you are in the world, and has impeccable customer service from when you first open the app, to when your purchase arrives at your front door. We’re not constrained by challenges that traditional online retailers face, so we’re delivering a shopping experience that puts our customers first.
Spring is a tech-first company. As such, our engineering organization provides the foundation on which our business is built. It leverages that platform to deliver great products to our suppliers and customers.
We deeply value constant learning and growth throughout our diverse group of engineers. We do this by creating small groups of engineers partnered with product and fully empowered to deliver on company objectives. We aim to pick the best technologies for the job and currently use a combination of Python, Go on the backend, Swift and React on the frontend. Current areas of focus include personalization and machine learning, scalable systems to support our growth, and a core data platform.
What is engineering working on right now?
Spring is at an interesting point in its lifecycle: we’ve decided what we want to build, we have a product that works, we have users, we push out new features weekly, and we have a roadmap in place. We’re now at the stage where we have significant resources and time to focus on how to make our website more beautiful and usable. Web front end development changes fast (remember JQuery?) and we have to change our own development to keep pace.
What are we looking for?
If you love front end development, if you’re a perfectionist, if you love seeing what you build have an immediate impact and if you care about delighting end users, this role is for you.
As a Lead Engineer on our Web Team, you’ll be the person who keeps track of these new technologies, you’ll identify the correct schema for what we are trying to build, and you’ll be able to write the frameworks that help integrate new tech into our stack.
As a Lead Engineer on our Web Team, you will be expected to:
- Lead significant technical projects that have a broad impact on our business
- Actively participate in maintaining and creating a high bar in our engineering practices
- Decide whether to build a technology in-house versus using an existing framework
- Make informed educated decisions about using APIs, tools and frameworks. Implement your solutions
- Have ownership over what you build. Be responsible and accountable for the success of your features
- Mentor other engineers and serve as a tech guru for those who want to learn
What you need to have:
- Proven professional development experience where you have made a significant impact on one or more features or products. Bonus points if you have worked on a product that serves a million+ users. *Hint: we'll want to learn the details of how you accomplished this
- A degree in engineering, CS, Physics, Math - or commensurate experience building interesting projects
- A deep understanding of the web and how a browser works
- A strong track record of delivering impactful projects and features
- You feel comfortable switching languages and can discuss the finer technical points and tradeoffs of angular vs react vs underscore
- The ability to learn quickly
Spring is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Inspired by the season and the street, Spring is a single shopping destination where people can discover amazing products and buy them directly from the brands and designers that make them.
Want to learn more about Spring? Visit Spring's website.
Jobs You May Like
Director of Sourcing and Procurement
Fitbit, US - San Francisco
EDA/CAD Electronic Engineer
Software Engineer, Marketplace Dynamics
Bellhops, Chattanooga, TN
Web Development Immersive Instructor
General Assembly, Los Angeles
Mobile Engineer - Android
Calm, San Francisco