Director of Engineering
Spring, Headquarters - NYC
Spring is the top app to shop and discover the best brands.
Spring wants to change the way people shop and the way brands interact with customers. The company was founded in 2013 with the vision to build a digital alternative to traditional brick and mortar retailers: we’re the store that never closes, is available wherever you are in the world, and has impeccable customer service from when you first open the app, to when your purchase arrives at your front door. We’re not constrained by challenges that traditional online retailers face, so we’re delivering a shopping experience that puts our customers first.
Spring is a tech-first company. As such, our engineering organization provides the foundation on which our business is built. It leverages that platform to deliver great products to our suppliers and customers.
We deeply value constant learning and growth throughout our diverse group of engineers. We do this by creating small groups of engineers partnered with product and fully empowered to deliver on company objectives. We aim to pick the best technologies for the job and currently use a combination of Python, Go on the backend, Swift and React on the frontend. Current areas of focus include personalization and machine learning, scalable systems to support our growth, and a core data platform.
To help realize and build upon these areas of focus, we have opened a role for a Director, Consumer Engineering. This person will report to our VP, Engineering and will inherit an existing team of solid, smart, and immensely capable engineers. This role will focus on Spring’s web product, which was launched in 2015. Projects will include revamping the existing technology (see above where we reference the move from Angular to React), enhancing the performance of the application, and build new features related to personalization and search.
This role will work closely with many people and teams in the organization including our existing Directors, our Product Management and Design Teams, with our Marketing and Brands Teams, and others as the company continues to grow. This role is a critical hire for the company and will have a big impact on our roadmap delivery and on the development of our employees.
The Director will:
- Manage and mentor an existing team of engineers; help these engineers grow their careers and technical skill set
- Take ownership of the web roadmap. Partner with product and design on staffing , scoping, and prioritization
- Manage the delivery of multiple front end projects. Conduct code and architecture reviews for the team
- Recruit. We have a lot of people to hire and need your help doing this
- Act as an internal advocate for your team’s needs. Partner with Recruiting if these needs include a new headcount strategy
Our top candidate will:
- Have managed a team of 5+ engineers for at least 3 years. You have a clearly defined management style, understand the pros and cons of this style, and understand how to motivate a team
- Understand engineering trade-offs and how to accurately scope/staff different projects
- Take a Player/Coach approach to management. While most of your work will focus on the strategic side of things, you will still be expected to contribute technical artifacts.
- Have a high level of EQ and excellent relationship building skills. In this role you will have multiple stakeholders across the business, building effective partnerships with them is key.
- Have experience managing, mentoring and motivating both junior and senior engineers
- Be committed to finding diverse talent for the team. Inclusivity is one of the core tenets of your management philosophy
- Have a sense of humor and the ability to spot alliteration
Spring is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Inspired by the season and the street, Spring is a single shopping destination where people can discover amazing products and buy them directly from the brands and designers that make them.
Want to learn more about Spring? Visit Spring's website.
Jobs You May Like
Platform Operations Engineer
Staff Engineer, Governance
Box, Redwood City, CA
Senior Security & Privacy Specialist
WePay, Redwood City, CA
ecobee, Toronto, ON
Infrastructure Site Reliability Engineer
WePay, Redwood City, CA
Senior DevOps Engineer
DNAnexus, Mountain View