Senior Data Scientist
Spring, New York City
Spring is the top app to shop and discover the best brands.
Spring was founded in 2013 with the goal of reimagining how people shop online and on their phones. Our product provides a platform for 1,500+ brands to sell their products directly to consumers. Brands win because they have access to much wider consumer base than they normally would. Consumers win because they can discover new brands and products in a single location, at any time and in any place.
Spring has spent the last three years building out the supply and technology sides of our business. Supply was focused on building relationships with brands, helping brands understand the ROI of partnering with us, and making sure our integrations worked. Technology was focused on building the bare bones of an ecommerce product (features like Shopping Cart) and scaling the infrastructure to meet the needs of a rapidly expanding and international customer base.
Now we’re entering year four and are turning our focus on Product, on Marketing and on continuous innovation of the existing technology. The product and innovation pieces are where data science comes in: a big focus of our long term strategic roadmap is personalization, search and recommendations. Building these features requires engineering oomph, as well as an increasing reliance on data science.
As a result, Spring is looking for Data Scientists to join our Engineering organization. These roles will work closely with our Lead Data Scientist, with Product Managers, and with Engineers on building new features and helping us reach big roadmap milestones. Reaching these milestones and delivering on excellent features will have a measurable impact on Spring. (And, because you are on the Data Team, you’ll see this impact first hand.)
Spring Data Scientists work on:
- Implementing machine learning approaches to improve customer experience (recommendation, similar products, etc)
- Improving onboarding to overcome the cold start problem of recommendation
- Utilizing learning to rank approaches to improve search ranking
- Improving fraud detection
- Classifier to provide additional metadata about our product catalog
- Refining our experimentation platform (current A/B testing, soon (with you!) MAB)
- Providing insights to our brands to improve their platform experience
- Advancing our email marketing and notification strategy based on data analysis
Our top candidate will have some formal engineering training and will be able to contribute code to our production environment. While you won’t have to re-architect our entire infrastructure, you should be able to oversee your features from ideation to delivery.
- Have programming experience, ideally in Python or R, but we are open to other experience if you’re willing to learn the languages we use. Ultimately we care less about the language you know.
- Be thoughtful in regards to how machine learning and data analysis can positively impact customer experience.
- Practical knowledge of linear algebra and statistical concepts.
- Deep knowledge in data mining, machine learning, natural language processing, or information retrieval.
- Experience processing large amounts of structured and unstructured data
- Professional experience putting data fueled systems into production.
Spring is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Inspired by the season and the street, Spring is a single shopping destination where people can discover amazing products and buy them directly from the brands and designers that make them.