Director of Engineering
Spring, Headquarters - NYC
Spring is the top app to shop and discover the best brands.
Spring was founded in 2013 with the goal of reimagining how people shop online and on their phones. Our product provides a platform for 1,500+ brands to sell their products directly to consumers. Brands win because they have access to much wider consumer base than they normally would. Consumers win because they can discover new brands and products in a single location, at any time and in any place.
Spring has spent the last three years building out the supply and technology sides of our business. Supply was focused on building relationships with brands, helping brands understand the ROI of partnering with us, and making sure our integrations worked. Technology was focused on building the bare bones of an ecommerce product (features like Shopping Cart) and scaling the infrastructure to meet the needs of a rapidly expanding and international customer base. Said another way, we needed to build a technology foundation that allows us to process millions of customer requests per minute.
To help realize these people and technical goals, we have opened a role for a Director, Consumer Engineering. This person will report to our VP, Engineering and will inherit an existing team of solid, smart, and immensely capable engineers. This role will focus on Spring’s web product, which was launched in 2015. Projects will include revamping the existing technology (see above where we reference the move from Angular to React), enhancing the performance of the application, and build new features related to personalization and search.
This role will work closely with many people and teams in the organization including our existing Directors, our Product Management and Design Teams, with our Marketing and Brands Teams, and others as the company continues to grow. This role is a critical hire for the company and will have a big impact on our roadmap delivery and on the development of our employees.
The Director will:
- Manage and mentor an existing team of engineers; help these engineers grow their careers and technical skill set
- Take ownership of the web roadmap. Partner with product and design on staffing , scoping, and prioritization
- Manage the delivery of multiple front end projects. Conduct code and architecture reviews for the team
- Recruit. We have a lot of people to hire and need your help doing this
- Act as an internal advocate for your team’s needs. Partner with Recruiting if these needs include a new headcount strategy
Our top candidate will:
- Have managed a team of 5+ engineers for at least 3 years. You have a clearly defined management style, understand the pros and cons of this style, and understand how to motivate a team
- Understand engineering trade-offs and how to accurately scope/staff different projects
- Take a Player/Coach approach to management. While most of your work will focus on the strategic side of things, you will still be expected to contribute technical artifacts.
- Have a high level of EQ and excellent relationship building skills. In this role you will have multiple stakeholders across the business, building effective partnerships with them is key.
- Have experience managing, mentoring and motivating both junior and senior engineers
- Be committed to finding diverse talent for the team. Inclusivity is one of the core tenets of your management philosophy
- Have a sense of humor and the ability to spot alliteration
Spring is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Inspired by the season and the street, Spring is a single shopping destination where people can discover amazing products and buy them directly from the brands and designers that make them.
Want to learn more about Spring? Visit https://www.shopspring.com/
Jobs You May Like
Infrastructure Developer (DevOps)
Android Engineer- Entry Level- Spring/Summer 2018
Peloton, New York, NY
Spring 2018 Internship
Kenzan, Denver, CO
AV Infrastructure Lead
Technical Program Manager: Security & Privacy
Lyft, San Francisco, CA
Senior Quality Engineer
GitHub, Remote - Australia, Japan, New Zealand