Site Reliability Engineer - Database Administrator
Square, San Francisco CA, US
Square works for every business.
The Online Data Storage team (ODS) is responsible for OLTP systems within Square. ODS provides and maintains a reliable and secure platform to host databases, both on-premise and in AWS. The team develops tooling to automate the creation and maintenance of databases, and gives application developers tools to better manage their databases.
As an engineer on ODS, you will:
- Collaborate with other platform teams to operate the infrastructure of Square’s database servers
- Optimize datastore architecture and configurations to improve performance efficiency, for both on-premise and cloud-based production environments
- Collaborate with other product teams to optimize their database usage
- Bachelor's degree with 5+ years of experience operating highly scalable production services; OR 9+ years of experience in data, infrastructure and platform engineering; OR place of 4-year degree, equivalent 9+ years of experience operating highly scalable production services
- Experience with incident response, including disaster recovery.
- Experience with scripting languages such as Ruby or Bash
- Effective remote collaboration and communication skills
- Experience with AWS Aurora Platform
- Experience leveraging cloud architecture, applying site reliability principles, and/or demonstrating sensitivity to operational concerns
Demonstrated ability to debug, fix, and optimize code
Technologies we use and teach:
We don't expect candidates to have experience in all of these technologies.
- Amazon Aurora
- Amazon RDS
- Amazon ElasticSearch
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. So we’re building easy tools to empower and enrich people. Tools that shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it—because we believe in fair and square. We started with a little white card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, our Cash app lets people send money instantly, and we’re building easy tools for customers, too. We’re empowering the electrician to send invoices, setting up the food truck with a delivery option, helping the clothing boutique pay its employees, and giving the coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Want to learn more about Square? Visit Square's website.
Help the world share their story