Senior Software Engineer (Front-end), Payroll
Square, San Francisco CA, US
Square works for every business.
When we launched the little white reader, we invented mobile, ubiquitous payments and enabled anyone to start, run, and grow a business. Ten years and billions of transactions later we're re-imagining commerce for businesses of all types and sizes—we're helping the independent electrician send invoices, helping the beauty salon pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We're working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we're looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Much in the same way that Square revolutionized payments, we want to radically alter how employees get paid and businesses manage their finances. Our mission is to make running a business simple and personal by applying automation and an excellent user-experience. Our small collaborative team has already built many foundational features and are now focused on improving and experimenting beyond a traditional payroll product. We want to transform the lives of people that make their living through our platform. We're a growing part of the Square ecosystem and are using our position to build products and features that are beyond the capabilities of our competitors.
We are an expanding team with an abundance of growth and influence opportunities. We are building the best full featured payroll solution for small businesses with an emphasis on design and automation. At the same time we are doing this in an organized and scalable way, making smart choices about how to automate important functions.
- Work with other engineers, designers, and product managers to develop features from prototype to launch.
- Oversee the entirety of your features; including component design, implementation, automated testing, and roll-out.
- Provide technical guidance to an amazing group of engineers, and teach us front-end development best practices.
- Contribute to the leadership, stewardship, planning, and evangelism of our modern React-based front-end architecture, which has achieved several firsts within the Square front-end community.
- Build systems that collect and maintain customers sensitive data, while holding Square to the highest standards for security and compliance.
- Stay curious, ask questions when you need help, and have a voice in the future of our road-map.
- Excellent software engineering knowledge and the ability to provide technical mentorship and guidance.
- The ability to work with other roles such as designers, product managers, data scientists, marketing, and business development, to bring together a great experience-driven product.
- Experience working in large front-end codebases.
- Experience with modern web capabilities and concepts, such as accessibility, performance,
- 5+ years professional experience.
Preference given if you also have any of the following:
- Experience with React
- Familiarity with common React patterns and their trade-offs, e.g. higher-order components or render props
- Experience leading complex technical projects, e.g. cross-team programs or migrating from a legacy to more modern tech stack
Technologies we use:
- Ruby / Rails / MySQL / Redis
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. So we’re building easy tools to empower and enrich people. Tools that shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it—because we believe in fair and square. We started with a little white card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, our Cash app lets people send money instantly, and we’re building easy tools for customers, too. We’re empowering the electrician to send invoices, setting up the food truck with a delivery option, helping the clothing boutique pay its employees, and giving the coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Want to learn more about Square? Visit Square's website.
Minimalist makeup and skincare