Deputy General Counsel - Venture Capital
StepStone, La Jolla, CA / Baltimore, MD / New York, NY
Solutions that span Private Markets
The Deputy General Counsel of StepStone Group will be responsible for leading the StepStone’s Venture Capital and Growth Equity sector team within the Private Equity business and report into the Chief Legal Officer. You will be responsible for drafting and negotiating legal documentation with respect to the firm’s private market fund investments, co-investments, direct investments and secondary investments, with particular emphasis on venture capital and growth equity.
Essential Job Functions:
- Lead staffing and strategy in respect of legal work required for the Venture Capital and Growth Equity sector within the Private Equity asset class, in close coordination with the Deputy General Counsel, Private Equity.
- Review placement memoranda and partnership agreements for investments in private markets funds and prepare analysis regarding same for inclusion in investment memoranda or otherwise deliverable to clients.
- Negotiate and draft documentation to execute private equity fund investments with particular emphasis on venture capital and growth equity.
- Negotiate and draft documentation to execute (i) secondary purchases and sales of private markets fund interests, and (ii) direct investments and (iii) co-investments.
- Lead negotiations with clients and prospects in the formation of new StepStone venture capital / growth equity funds and separately managed accounts.
- Manage outside counsel in connection with select investment activity (i.e., fund investments, secondary investments and co-investments alongside general partners are typically covered in-house, while co-investments alongside institutional investors and direct investments typically involve outside counsel).
- Supervise, develop and work with paralegals and legal and operations associates, including in the negotiation of confidentiality agreements, review of subscription documents, closing-related matters, and other matters, as needed.
- Special projects from time to time subject to availability and firm needs (e.g., strategic transactions, fiduciary counseling and training, securities law filings, client engagement documentation, marketing, etc.).
- Work closely with Compliance department to ensure legal compliance and to manage, detect and mitigate risk.
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
- 4 Year College Degree Required
- Must possess a law degree from an accredited and reputable law school, be admitted to the NY, CA, MD or D.C. bar, and be in good standing
- Minimum of twelve years of experience as an attorney.
- Ideal candidates will have experience with private markets investment management firms, whether in-house or at a law firm.
- Experience managing attorneys and paralegals preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Professionally communicate with all levels of staff, as well as clients and investment manager personnel.
- Utilize effective time management skills to maintain a commitment to quality and attention to detail; ensure that all work is completed accurately and on time.
- Foster a sense of teamwork, assisting others when needed/required, and collaborating with colleagues across asset classes to ensure consistency of StepStone approach and best practices.
- Flourish in a challenging, fast-paced, and professional environment with frequent shifts in priorities as business needs dictate.
- Have a strong sense of integrity, behaving consistently with expressed values and ethical principles of StepStone.
- Focus on specific goals and demonstrate a sense of personal growth, accountability and urgency for achieving results.
StepStone is a global private markets firm providing customized investment and advisroy solutions to some of the most sophisticated investors in the world. With more than $230 billion of total capital allocations, including over $35 billion in assets under management, we cover the spectrum of opportunities in private markets across the globe. We prudently integrate fund investments, secondaries and co-investments across private equity, real estate, infrastructure and private debt to create solutions that are customized according to the objectives of any private markets investment program.
Want to learn more about StepStone? Visit StepStone's website.
DICE is on a mission to get people out more. We bring incredible live shows and