Full Stack Software Engineer
StoryBlocks, Arlington, VA
Our mission is to provide creative content that everyone can afford.
Who We Are:
Storyblocks is a subscription-based stock media service focused on empowering the creative community. We offer a suite of content - video, audio, and images - to fuel our mission of helping our customers create more moving stories. Storyblocks helps digital storytellers unlock their creative potential by providing beautiful stock media that fit with any budget. We are a member-driven company, serving over 200,000 content creators that range from prosumers to SMBs to studios and Fortune 500 brands. Our members can subscribe to our video, image or music libraries, or any combination of the three, to ensure they are able to be brilliant on any budget.
Storyblocks has adjusted to the COVID-19 pandemic by creating a flexible, work-from-home environment. All employees are free to work from wherever they like through at least April 2021 (or later depending on vaccine rollouts).
Who You Are:
We are looking for a full-stack software engineer to join our team of developers and help design and build solutions that will enable creators to best tell their digital stories. Our software engineers work in fast-paced, highly-collaborative multi-functional teams to continue to drive technical solutions to emerging business problems. We are technology-agnostic and believe in using the best tools for the job. We are continuing to break up our monolithic application into a collection of services with varying technologies and architectures. Multiple times each day, engineers manage and kick off production deployments of their latest and greatest work for millions of users to interact with.
What You Bring to the Table:
- Battle-Hardened Experience - You have been writing clean, maintainable, and well-tested code for 2+ years. Experience with NodeJS and React a plus.
- Dependable coder - You can rapidly and robustly develop features (along with automated tests) within an agile environment for our core products and supporting technologies.
- Full-feature ownership - You are comfortable owning a feature across the entire technology stack, from adjusting styles to optimizing a database query. If your friend asked you to build that underwater basketweaving social networking website for them that they’ve always wanted, you could.
- Kaizen (philosophy of continuous improvement) - You are eager to find ways to improve the way we do things. You are a regular participant in code reviews, design reviews, and retrospectives.
- Ownership mentality - You are happy to engage at the problem-level, communicating directly with our product, marketing, sales, customer service, finance, and content teams as needed to regularly discuss prioritization, refine requirements, and develop features.
- Curiosity - You are willing to dive into unknown territory and try out that new technology or create a proof of concept for that crazy idea. You are excited to come up with fun projects for our regular hackathons.
What We Bring to the Table:
- Competitive and fair compensation - We believe in fair pay--equal pay for equal work. For each title, we have consistently applied competitive salary bands based on market data and benchmarks. What you’ve been paid before, fear of conflict, or willingness to negotiate does not play a part.
- Company-paid medical - Our medical, dental and vision premiums are covered 100% for you and your dependents.
- Paid parental leave - Welcoming new family members is exciting, but it can also be challenging. We offer twelve weeks paid leave for primary caregivers and four weeks for secondary caregivers. We have a dedicated private nursing room available to new mothers.
- Unlimited vacation - At Storyblocks we take vacation seriously. That means take the time off when you need it. Don’t worry about tracking hours or accounting for partial days. Typically employees take about three or four weeks each year.
- Flexible work-from-home options - Much of our workflow is online, and for meetings, we have dedicated video-conferencing setups. As long as you deliver results, you are welcome to get your work done outside of the office or during unusual times when desired.
- Company-sponsored mentorship and growth - We have a formal mentorship program that involves regular career and growth conversations. “360-degree” feedback is collected twice a year and synthesized into actionable, peer-reviewed, performance reviews. We happily foot the bill for conferences and online courses that will add value to the organization. We encourage attending meetups and are happy to host them as well.
- Casual Work Environment - Sure we all get dressed up once in a while, but in general we want you to be comfortable at the office – whatever that means to you (flip-flops, shorts, jeans, etc.).
- Fully stocked kitchen - Everyone gets input on the food and drinks we stock in our shared refrigerators and snack room. We have multiple mechanisms for making coffee and cold-brew kegs are often on tap.
- Dogs in the office - We love dogs and we will probably love your dog too. With help from a calendar, we allow employees to bring in their dogs to help guide us through the day.
Storyblocks supports workplace diversity and does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class.
StoryBlocks (formerly VideoBlocks) was founded in 2009, with one mission: to provide premium creative content that we can all afford. While still in high school our founder Joel Holland and fellow students started a small TV show that focused on helping kids figure out what they wanted to do with their lives. They interviewed over 150 awesome career professionals for the show, and while the interviews contained extremely powerful advice, the production value of the show was lacking, because they had no budget. In one specific instance, Joel had just interviewed superstar Arnold Schwarzenegger – which was extremely exciting. They had this awesome footage of his advice for teens and they weren’t able to make the video look professional since it was cost prohibitive to purchase b-roll, music, professional graphics or other stock media. So Joel decided to start a company that would make stock video affordable to everyone, regardless of budget.
After high school, Joel pooled his savings and purchased some professional video equipment. He then hit the road for one year, traveling to over 30 US cities shooting video, editing in the hotel room, and selling the clips so that he could afford to purchase the next plane ticket and hotel room. Fast forward eight years and StoryBlocks now has over 35 employees.
StoryBlocks now makes it affordable for video editors and enthusiasts of all kinds to afford stock video and production music, not just those who have large budgets. We are proud that we enable thousands of schools to enhance their curriculum with our content; we enable thousands of churches to make their services more engaging; we make it affordable for tens of thousands of freelancers to increase the quality of their productions without breaking the bank; and we make it possible for thousands more to simply learn and enjoy video editing with some assistance from our content.
We have since become the largest distributor of stock video with over 23 million downloads and are excited to continue building StoryBlocks into a truly amazing company that makes a positive impact on the lives of our customers and employees. Our goal is to become the first place that content creators go to when working on a creative project.
Want to learn more about StoryBlocks? Visit StoryBlocks's website.
Great Prices. Better Cars. Shipped to You.