StoryBlocks, Arlington, VA
Our mission is to provide creative content that everyone can afford.
Who We Are:
Storyblocks is a subscription-based stock media service focused on empowering the creative community. We offer a suite of content - video, audio, and images - to fuel our mission of helping our customers create more moving stories. Storyblocks helps digital storytellers unlock their creative potential by providing beautiful stock videos, images, and music that fit with any budget. We are a member-driven company, serving over 200,000 content creators that range from prosumers to SMBs to studios and Fortune 500 brands. Our members can subscribe to our video, image or music libraries, or any combination of the three, to ensure they are able to be brilliant on any budget.
Who You Are:
You have user experience and user interface (UX/UI) expertise to help people around the world tell their stories! From brainstorming the next great product, to tweaking designs right before launch, a Product Designer at Storyblocks is involved in every phase of the product development. Come join a team of designers who are passionate about creating the very best product for Storyblock’s users.
What You'll Do:
- Brainstorm and collaborate with Product Managers, Engineers, and UX Researchers to understand, identify, and take on complex business requirements and user needs
- Translate concepts into customer flows, journey maps, wireframes, and experiences that are straightforward and beautifully crafted
- Create wireframes, mockups, and prototypes for multiple devices
- Participate in design critiques by presenting your work, capturing feedback, and giving constructive feedback on other designers work
- Inspire and bring new ideas to the team
- Research customer needs, competitor products, trends, and best practices to take our product to the next level as an industry leader
- Analyze and interpret qualitative and quantitative data and use learnings to inform your designs
- Contribute to an evolving brand and growing design system
- Contribute to high-level strategic conversations with the rest of the product and leadership team
What You Bring to the Table:
- A strong online portfolio of UX or product design work
- 3+ years of user experience or product design experience
- 2+ years of visual design experience
- Proficient in Sketch, Invision, and learning new design tools
- Strong communication & collaboration skills
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills
- Interaction design experience
- Strategic product thinking and vision experience
- Experience contributing to a design system, UX research methodologies, A/B testing, as well as designing for subscription products
- Experience working as a Designer embedded in a cross-functional team with Engineers and Product Managers
- Continued excitement to be part of a fun and close-knit team, always learning and collaborating with other designers to deliver a unified user experience
What We Bring To The Table:
- Competitive and fair compensation - We believe in fair pay--equal pay for equal work. For each title, we have consistently applied competitive salary bands based on market data and benchmarks. What you’ve been paid before, fear of conflict, or willingness to negotiate does not play a part.
- Company-paid medical - Our medical, dental and vision premiums are covered 100% for you and your dependents.
- Paid parental leave - Welcoming new family members is exciting, but it can also be challenging. We offer twelve weeks paid leave for primary caregivers and four weeks for secondary caregivers. We have a dedicated private nursing room available to new mothers.
- Unlimited vacation - At Storyblocks we take vacation seriously. That means take the time off when you need it. Don’t worry about tracking hours or accounting for partial days. Typically employees take about three or four weeks each year.
- Company-sponsored mentorship and growth - We have a formal mentorship program that involves regular career and growth conversations. “360-degree” feedback is collected twice a year and synthesized into actionable, peer-reviewed, performance reviews. We happily foot the bill for conferences and online courses that will add value to the organization. We encourage attending meetups and are happy to host them as well.
- Casual Work Environment - Sure we all get dressed up once in a while, but in general we want you to be comfortable at the office – whatever that means to you (flip-flops, shorts, jeans, etc.).
- Fully stocked kitchen - Everyone gets input on the food and drinks we stock in our shared refrigerators and snack room. We have multiple mechanisms for making coffee and cold-brew kegs are often on tap.
- Dogs in the office - We love dogs and we will probably love your dog too. With help from a calendar, we allow employees to bring in their dogs to help guide us through the day.
Storyblocks does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
StoryBlocks (formerly VideoBlocks) was founded in 2009, with one mission: to provide premium creative content that we can all afford. While still in high school our founder Joel Holland and fellow students started a small TV show that focused on helping kids figure out what they wanted to do with their lives. They interviewed over 150 awesome career professionals for the show, and while the interviews contained extremely powerful advice, the production value of the show was lacking, because they had no budget. In one specific instance, Joel had just interviewed superstar Arnold Schwarzenegger – which was extremely exciting. They had this awesome footage of his advice for teens and they weren’t able to make the video look professional since it was cost prohibitive to purchase b-roll, music, professional graphics or other stock media. So Joel decided to start a company that would make stock video affordable to everyone, regardless of budget.
After high school, Joel pooled his savings and purchased some professional video equipment. He then hit the road for one year, traveling to over 30 US cities shooting video, editing in the hotel room, and selling the clips so that he could afford to purchase the next plane ticket and hotel room. Fast forward eight years and StoryBlocks now has over 35 employees.
StoryBlocks now makes it affordable for video editors and enthusiasts of all kinds to afford stock video and production music, not just those who have large budgets. We are proud that we enable thousands of schools to enhance their curriculum with our content; we enable thousands of churches to make their services more engaging; we make it affordable for tens of thousands of freelancers to increase the quality of their productions without breaking the bank; and we make it possible for thousands more to simply learn and enjoy video editing with some assistance from our content.
We have since become the largest distributor of stock video with over 23 million downloads and are excited to continue building StoryBlocks into a truly amazing company that makes a positive impact on the lives of our customers and employees. Our goal is to become the first place that content creators go to when working on a creative project.