StoryBlocks, Arlington, Va
Our mission is to provide creative content that everyone can afford.
Who We Are:
Storyblocks is a different kind of content company delivering a fresh approach to meet the creative needs of a new generation of storytellers. Built on the belief that all stories deserve a chance to be told, Storyblocks provides video, audio, images and easy to use creative tools through its unique subscription model. By offering unlimited downloads and continually adding fresh content, Storyblocks challenges the paradigm that your ambitious vision requires deep pockets. We are committed to empowering storytellers by removing creative barriers and democratizing video creation.
Driven by a set of five company core values, our culture is shaped by a love for data, fearless communication, community, zero egos, and everyone emptying the dishwasher (both literally and figuratively).
Headquartered in Arlington, Virginia, Storyblocks has been recognized as one of Washington D.C.'s Top Workplaces by The Washington Post, among the Best Places to Work by the Washington Business Journal, and by the Washingtonian as one of DC’s 50 Great Places to Work.
Storyblocks has adjusted to the COVID-19 pandemic by creating a flexible, work-from-home environment. All employees are free to work from wherever they like through at least June 2021 (or later depending on vaccine rollouts).
Who You Are:
To support our rapid growth, we are looking for a SEO Specialist to help coordinate our efforts across multiple teams. The SEO Specialist will assist the SEO & Content Marketing team in conducting technical audits, performing keyword research, writing on site copy optimized for SEO and developing and maintaining relationships with product and engineering teams.
Success in this role requires a desire to learn all things digital, a natural hunger for driving results, and working knowledge of the best practices around technical and onpage SEO. This role is a great fit for an SEO with 2-4 years of agency experience who is looking for an in-house position.
What You'll Do:
- Work with the SEO team as well as members of the marketing, product, analytics, and development teams to ensure maximum impact of SEO
- Leverage SEO tools and data to make recommendations for site improvements; research SEO problem spaces and offer solutions
- Assist in SEO content creation including but not limited to onsite, blog and video
- Perform keyword research and on-page optimization in line with SEO best practices
- Identify link building opportunities and assist with outreach for link building campaigns
- Monitor competitors’ SEO metrics (rankings, inbound links, content topics, etc)
- Troubleshoot site performance issues that impact SEO and partner with developers to find solutions
- Run monthly, weekly, and ad hoc SEO reports; deliver results to relevant stakeholders
- Communicate SEO best-practices to stakeholders and company at large in a clear and approachable way; create educational content to distribute across the company
- Stay up-to-date with industry changes, trends, and best practices, including Google algorithm updates
What You Bring to the Table:
- 1 - 3 years experience in agency or in-house SEO
- Ability to identify business challenges, to turn analysis into action, follow timelines, build sophisticated plans to tackle problems, and determine alternative workarounds
- Positive attitude with the ability to build relationships across non-marketing teams
- Experience educating teammates, clients, or others on the importance of SEO
- Self-motivated, continuous learner; willingness to experiment and take risks
- Knowledge of technical SEO, link building, content strategy, on-page optimization, competitive research, and other fundamentals; ability to grow into new areas of SEO
- Hands-on tracking experience with rankings, traffic, and conversion metrics; strong analytical skills and ability work towards larger business goals
- Knowledge of Search Console, Google Analytic, and familiarity with non-Google SEO tools such as Screaming Frog, SEMrush, etc.
- SEO content creation skills (copywriting, optimization, etc.)
- Proficiency in HTML/CSS/JS/content management systems and how they impact SEO
- Ecommerce or enterprise SEO skills a plus
What We Bring to the Table:
- Competitive and fair compensation: We believe in fair pay--equal pay for equal work. For each title, we have consistently applied competitive salary bands based on market data and benchmarks. What you’ve been paid before, fear of conflict, or willingness to negotiate does not play a part.
- Company-paid medical: Our medical, dental and vision premiums are covered 100% for you and your dependents.
- Paid parental leave: Welcoming new family members is exciting, but it can also be challenging. We offer twelve weeks paid leave for primary caregivers and four weeks for secondary caregivers. Additionally, we have a dedicated private nursing room available to new parents.
- Unlimited vacation: At Storyblocks we take vacation seriously. That means take the time off when you need it. Don’t worry about tracking hours or accounting for partial days. Typically employees take about three or four weeks each year.
- Flexible work-from-home options: Much of our workflow is online, and for meetings, we have dedicated video-conferencing setups. As long as you deliver results, you are welcome to get your work done outside of the office or during unusual times when desired.
- Company-sponsored mentorship and growth: We have a formal mentorship program that involves regular career and growth conversations. “360-degree” feedback is collected twice a year and synthesized into actionable, peer-reviewed, performance reviews. We happily foot the bill for conferences and online courses that will add value to the organization. We encourage attending meetups and are happy to host them as well.
- Casual Work Environment: Sure we all get dressed up once in a while, but in general we want you to be comfortable at the office – whatever that means to you (flip-flops, shorts, jeans, etc.).
- Fully stocked kitchen: Everyone gets input on the food and drinks we stock in our shared refrigerators and snack room. We have multiple mechanisms for making coffee and cold-brew kegs are often on tap.
- Dogs in the office: We love dogs and we will probably love your dog too. With help from a calendar, we allow employees to bring in their dogs to help guide us through the day.
Storyblocks supports workplace diversity and does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class.
StoryBlocks (formerly VideoBlocks) was founded in 2009, with one mission: to provide premium creative content that we can all afford. While still in high school our founder Joel Holland and fellow students started a small TV show that focused on helping kids figure out what they wanted to do with their lives. They interviewed over 150 awesome career professionals for the show, and while the interviews contained extremely powerful advice, the production value of the show was lacking, because they had no budget. In one specific instance, Joel had just interviewed superstar Arnold Schwarzenegger – which was extremely exciting. They had this awesome footage of his advice for teens and they weren’t able to make the video look professional since it was cost prohibitive to purchase b-roll, music, professional graphics or other stock media. So Joel decided to start a company that would make stock video affordable to everyone, regardless of budget.
After high school, Joel pooled his savings and purchased some professional video equipment. He then hit the road for one year, traveling to over 30 US cities shooting video, editing in the hotel room, and selling the clips so that he could afford to purchase the next plane ticket and hotel room. Fast forward eight years and StoryBlocks now has over 35 employees.
StoryBlocks now makes it affordable for video editors and enthusiasts of all kinds to afford stock video and production music, not just those who have large budgets. We are proud that we enable thousands of schools to enhance their curriculum with our content; we enable thousands of churches to make their services more engaging; we make it affordable for tens of thousands of freelancers to increase the quality of their productions without breaking the bank; and we make it possible for thousands more to simply learn and enjoy video editing with some assistance from our content.
We have since become the largest distributor of stock video with over 23 million downloads and are excited to continue building StoryBlocks into a truly amazing company that makes a positive impact on the lives of our customers and employees. Our goal is to become the first place that content creators go to when working on a creative project.
Want to learn more about StoryBlocks? Visit StoryBlocks's website.
Minimalist makeup and skincare