Payroll Senior Specialist
StoryBlocks, Arlington, VA
Our mission is to provide creative content that everyone can afford.
Who We Are:
Storyblocks is a different kind of content company delivering a fresh approach to meet the creative needs of a new generation of storytellers. Built on the belief that all stories deserve a chance to be told, Storyblocks provides video, audio, images and easy to use creative tools through its unique subscription model. By offering unlimited downloads and continually adding fresh content, Storyblocks challenges the paradigm that your ambitious vision requires deep pockets. We are committed to empowering storytellers by removing creative barriers and democratizing video creation.
Driven by a set of five company core values, our culture is shaped by a love for data, fearless communication, community, zero egos, and everyone emptying the dishwasher (both literally and figuratively).
Headquartered in Arlington, Virginia, Storyblocks has been recognized as one of Washington D.C.'s Top Workplaces by The Washington Post, among the Best Places to Work by the Washington Business Journal, and by the Washingtonian as one of DC’s 50 Great Places to Work.
Who You Are:
As a valued member of the People team, you will be responsible for all aspects of payroll and benefits administration and implementation. This role will serve as an advisor to employees who have payroll, 401(k), and benefits-related questions. Additionally, the Payroll & Benefits Administrator will ensure the company complies with multi-state payroll, federal, state, local laws, as well as monitoring the reporting on various regulatory matters regarding employee benefits and compensation. This key role on the People team will also be responsible for supporting Storyblocks’ high-growth environment as we expand across the US.
What You’ll Do:
- Responsible for timely, accurately and compliantly processing Storyblocks’ semi-monthly payroll in ADP. Audit and process payroll documents. Process employee data for new hires, changes, additional earnings, etc.
- Payroll tax filing, and benefit programs administration (including medical, vision, dental, group life, and long-term and short term disability insurance, voluntary life insurance, flexible spending account, and paid leave).
- Maintain related payroll records, file tax reports and voluntary deduction reports, process involuntary deductions such as levies and garnishments, etc.
- Setup and maintenance of all SUI and SIT accounts across the US.
- Maintains confidentiality of payroll and other internal sensitive financial and organizational information.
- Act as liaison with vendor who maintains the company’s 401k plan.
- Assist in the preparation of annual submission of Form 5500.
- Respond to all unemployment claims in a timely manner.
- Maintain employee records in payroll system (ADP)
- Produces scheduled and ad-hoc reports pertaining to payroll and human resources requirements.
- Administer all employee benefit programs including enrollments and terminations.
- Provides education and ensures employees gain an understanding of benefit plans and enrollment provisions.
- Fulfills all governmental regulatory mandates and ensures filings are performed as required.
- Plans and administers annual open enrollment period. This includes preparation (or revision) and distribution of materials, conducting meetings to communicate changes to employees, arranging for on-site representation by providers, and processing changes within deadlines.
- Plans, conducts and reports results of audits to ensure all enrollments are accurate and that dependent information is correct for each employee and works closely with Accounting for quarterly and year end audits (payroll, Workers Comp, 401k, benefits reconciliation etc.).
What You Bring to the Table:
- 4+ years experience running multi-state payroll
- Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated ability to research, understand and document regarding posed payroll compliance related questions
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability.
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands and demonstrates the highest level of customer/client service and response.
- Highly proficient with Microsoft office offerings (advanced excel) as well as Google suite of tools
- ADP Workforce Now experience a plus
- Accounting background a plus
- Team player with roll up your sleeves mentality
- Demonstrated ability with multi-state payroll processing.
What We Bring To The Table:
- Virtual Work - Storyblocks has adjusted to the COVID-19 pandemic by creating a flexible, work-from-home environment. We have migrated to a distributed work model and allow employees to choose remote work options that suits their unique situations.
- Competitive and fair compensation - Our investments in our Enterprise efforts start with our people, and that means that performance is met with an incredibly robust compensation package! For each title, we have consistently applied competitive salary bands based on market data and benchmarks. What you’ve been paid before, fear of conflict, or willingness to negotiate does not play a part.
- Company-paid medical - Our medical, dental and vision premiums are covered 100% for you and your dependents.
- Paid parental leave - Welcoming new family members is exciting, but it can also be challenging. We offer twelve weeks paid leave for primary caregivers and four weeks for secondary caregivers. Additionally, we have a dedicated private nursing room available to new parents.
- Unlimited vacation - At Storyblocks we take vacation seriously. That means take the time off when you need it. Don’t worry about tracking hours or accounting for partial days. Typically employees take about three or four weeks each year.
- Flexible work-from-home options - Much of our workflow is online, and for meetings, we have dedicated video-conferencing setups. As long as you deliver results, you are welcome to get your work done outside of the office or during unusual times when desired.
- Company-sponsored mentorship and growth - We have a formal mentorship program that involves regular career and growth conversations. “360-degree” feedback is collected twice a year and synthesized into actionable, peer-reviewed, performance reviews. We happily foot the bill for conferences and online courses that will add value to the organization. We encourage attending meetups and are happy to host them as well.
- Casual Work Environment - Sure we all get dressed up once in a while, but in general we want you to be comfortable at the office – whatever that means to you (flip-flops, shorts, jeans, etc.).
- Fully stocked kitchen - Everyone gets input on the food and drinks we stock in our shared refrigerators and snack room. We have multiple mechanisms for making coffee and cold-brew kegs are often on tap.
- Dogs in the office - We love dogs and we will probably love your dog too. With help from a calendar, we allow employees to bring in their dogs to help guide us through the day.
Storyblocks supports workplace diversity and does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class.
StoryBlocks (formerly VideoBlocks) was founded in 2009, with one mission: to provide premium creative content that we can all afford. While still in high school our founder Joel Holland and fellow students started a small TV show that focused on helping kids figure out what they wanted to do with their lives. They interviewed over 150 awesome career professionals for the show, and while the interviews contained extremely powerful advice, the production value of the show was lacking, because they had no budget. In one specific instance, Joel had just interviewed superstar Arnold Schwarzenegger – which was extremely exciting. They had this awesome footage of his advice for teens and they weren’t able to make the video look professional since it was cost prohibitive to purchase b-roll, music, professional graphics or other stock media. So Joel decided to start a company that would make stock video affordable to everyone, regardless of budget.
After high school, Joel pooled his savings and purchased some professional video equipment. He then hit the road for one year, traveling to over 30 US cities shooting video, editing in the hotel room, and selling the clips so that he could afford to purchase the next plane ticket and hotel room. Fast forward eight years and StoryBlocks now has over 35 employees.
StoryBlocks now makes it affordable for video editors and enthusiasts of all kinds to afford stock video and production music, not just those who have large budgets. We are proud that we enable thousands of schools to enhance their curriculum with our content; we enable thousands of churches to make their services more engaging; we make it affordable for tens of thousands of freelancers to increase the quality of their productions without breaking the bank; and we make it possible for thousands more to simply learn and enjoy video editing with some assistance from our content.
We have since become the largest distributor of stock video with over 23 million downloads and are excited to continue building StoryBlocks into a truly amazing company that makes a positive impact on the lives of our customers and employees. Our goal is to become the first place that content creators go to when working on a creative project.
Want to learn more about StoryBlocks? Visit StoryBlocks's website.
Come join the Gemini team and help us build the future of money!