StoryBlocks, Arlington, VA or Remote
Our mission is to provide creative content that everyone can afford.
Who You Are:
We are seeking a Visual Designer to join our fast-growing Product team comprised of Product Managers, Designers, and UX Researchers. Tasked primarily with evolving our visual brand and style across SMB and Enterprise. The Visual Designer ensures that cross-channel experiences embody and reflect the current and future state of our visual guidelines. They are trusted to own the visual evolution of Storyblocks' visual design and work to establish creative territories, stylescapes, moodboards that support the concepting and execution of marketing campaigns. This includes series and campaign work. They also play a mentorship role by providing guidance and Art Direction to Junior Visual Designers.
This role can be based out of the Washington, DC metropolitan area or can be remote, anywhere in the US.
What You'll Do:
Visual & Brand Design
- Works with Product Designers to implement end to end experiences for our marketing and landing pages from initial ideation, wireframes, high-fidelity mockups and prototypes.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with the Brand Team to conceptualize and execute marketing and campaign collateral across multiple platforms including email, blog, web, and social.
- Communicate concepts and design rationale to project stakeholders.
- Evolve our brand visuals (including illustration, iconography, photography, typography and colors) to achieve consistency across platforms and to align with our brand values.
- Contribute to our growing design system.
- Develop a deep understanding of our users, our brand values and how we're setting ourselves apart from other stock media companies.
- Inspire and bring new and emerging ideas to the team.
- Promote internal awareness of brand visual standards through collaboration with the marketing, product design, and brand teams.
- Experienced in using Art Direction and visual design acumen to "level up" concepts and serve as a strategic partner with and for stakeholders.
- Participate in design critiques by presenting your work, capturing feedback, and giving constructive feedback on other designer work.
- Communicates workload and adept in shifting priorities + prioritizing tasks based on business impact when necessary.
What You Bring to the Table:
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience as a visual designer, brand designer, graphic designer, or UI/UX designer.
- A portfolio demonstrating strong visual design work across different mediums along with insight into the process behind the work.
- Proficient in the Adobe Suite, Figma, and open to learning new design tools.
- Strong communication & collaboration skills.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills.
- Team player that's willing to roll up your sleeves and pitch in where needed.
- Animation or motion graphics experience
What We Bring to the Table:
- Competitive and fair compensation: We believe in fair pay--equal pay for equal work. For each title, we have consistently applied competitive salary bands based on market data and benchmarks. What you've been paid before, fear of conflict, or willingness to negotiate does not play a part.
- Company-paid medical: Our medical, dental and vision premiums are covered 100% for you and your dependents.
- Paid parental leave: Welcoming new family members is exciting, but it can also be challenging. We offer twelve weeks paid leave for primary caregivers and four weeks for secondary caregivers. Additionally, we have a dedicated private nursing room available to new parents.
- Unlimited vacation: At Storyblocks we take vacation seriously. That means take the time off when you need it. Don't worry about tracking hours or accounting for partial days. Typically employees take about three or four weeks each year.
- Flexible work-from-home options: Much of our workflow is online, and for meetings, we have dedicated video-conferencing setups. As long as you deliver results, you are welcome to get your work done outside of the office or during unusual times when desired.
- Company-sponsored mentorship and growth: We have a formal mentorship program that involves regular career and growth conversations. "360-degree" feedback is collected twice a year and synthesized into actionable, peer-reviewed, performance reviews. We happily foot the bill for conferences and online courses that will add value to the organization. We encourage attending meetups and are happy to host them as well.
- Casual Work Environment: Sure we all get dressed up once in a while, but in general we want you to be comfortable at the office – whatever that means to you (flip-flops, shorts, jeans, etc.).
- Fully stocked kitchen: Everyone gets input on the food and drinks we stock in our shared refrigerators and snack room. We have multiple mechanisms for making coffee and cold-brew kegs are often on tap.
- Dogs in the office: We love dogs and we will probably love your dog too. With help from a calendar, we allow employees to bring in their dogs to help guide us through the day.
Who We Are
Storyblocks is a different kind of content company delivering a fresh approach to meet the creative needs of a new generation of storytellers. Built on the belief that all stories deserve a chance to be told, Storyblocks provides video, audio, images, and easy-to-use creative tools through its unique subscription model.
Driven by a set of five company core values, our culture is shaped by a love for data, fearless communication, community, zero egos, and everyone emptying the dishwasher (both literally and figuratively). Also, loving dogs. That's pretty important too.
Headquartered in Arlington, Virginia, Storyblocks has been recognized as one of Washington D.C.'s Top Workplaces by The Washington Post, among the Best Places to Work by the Washington Business Journal, and by the Washingtonian as one of DC's 50 Great Places to Work.
Storyblocks does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
StoryBlocks (formerly VideoBlocks) was founded in 2009, with one mission: to provide premium creative content that we can all afford. While still in high school our founder Joel Holland and fellow students started a small TV show that focused on helping kids figure out what they wanted to do with their lives. They interviewed over 150 awesome career professionals for the show, and while the interviews contained extremely powerful advice, the production value of the show was lacking, because they had no budget. In one specific instance, Joel had just interviewed superstar Arnold Schwarzenegger – which was extremely exciting. They had this awesome footage of his advice for teens and they weren’t able to make the video look professional since it was cost prohibitive to purchase b-roll, music, professional graphics or other stock media. So Joel decided to start a company that would make stock video affordable to everyone, regardless of budget.
After high school, Joel pooled his savings and purchased some professional video equipment. He then hit the road for one year, traveling to over 30 US cities shooting video, editing in the hotel room, and selling the clips so that he could afford to purchase the next plane ticket and hotel room. Fast forward eight years and StoryBlocks now has over 35 employees.
StoryBlocks now makes it affordable for video editors and enthusiasts of all kinds to afford stock video and production music, not just those who have large budgets. We are proud that we enable thousands of schools to enhance their curriculum with our content; we enable thousands of churches to make their services more engaging; we make it affordable for tens of thousands of freelancers to increase the quality of their productions without breaking the bank; and we make it possible for thousands more to simply learn and enjoy video editing with some assistance from our content.
We have since become the largest distributor of stock video with over 23 million downloads and are excited to continue building StoryBlocks into a truly amazing company that makes a positive impact on the lives of our customers and employees. Our goal is to become the first place that content creators go to when working on a creative project.
Want to learn more about StoryBlocks? Visit StoryBlocks's website.
File hosting service