Backend Software Engineer- Growth
Strava, San Francisco, California, United States
Strava's mobile app and website connect millions of runners and cyclists through the sports they love
Strava is composed of dedicated, fun-loving individuals, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. And it feels like we’re onto something big. Millions of athletes are already on Strava, with thousands more joining every day, and we’ve assembled an awesome team to keep us growing all around the world. Strava is the Swedish word for “strive,” which epitomizes our attitude and ambition: We’re a passionate community, committed to our athletes, each other, our business, and the deeply held belief that there’s always time for a run, ride, coffee or all three.
About this role
We’re looking for a backend software engineer to work directly with our Growth product development team. You will work on a cross-functional team focused on user acquisition, activation, and retention to build the strongest community of inspired athletes worldwide. As an infrastructure engineer on the Growth team, you will build the backend systems and services that support the team’s rapid feature iteration, multivariate testing, and analytics capabilities.
In this role, you will work across the breadth of Strava’s backend systems, including RPC services, stream processing, batch data processing, and ETL infrastructure. You will improve existing services and design new ones, and you will work closely with our Infrastructure engineering team to ensure these systems are reliable and performant. The Growth team is data driven and experiments rapidly to drive core business metrics. You will need to support short term feature velocity while also planning and executing longer term technology initiatives that will make our experimentation more effective.
- Work with our Growth product development team to design, build, and maintain backend systems and services that support the team’s roadmap.
- Support web and mobile engineers as they integrate backend systems into product experiences.
- Proactively identify opportunities to improve our growth and experimentation infrastructure, tooling, and process.
- Provide strong technical feedback to other engineers through code reviews, engineering design reviews, and collaborative problem solving sessions.
What we look for
- B.S. in computer science or equivalent experience.
- Track record of delivering backend software in large, reliable, and scalable distributed systems.
- Experience with cloud-based services such as Amazon AWS.
- Experience with relational or NoSQL databases such as MySQL, Redis, or Cassandra.
- Excellent programming skills with at least one language such as Ruby, Scala, or Go.
- Experience with open source distributed systems technologies like Kafka, ZooKeeper, Finagle, Storm, Spark, Elasticsearch, Mesos, and Docker.
- Experience with Ruby on Rails.
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Sigma Partners, Strava is expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. By joining our team, you will help push Strava forward in fresh, innovative ways. You will engage in interesting and challenging work that will improve the lives of our athletes every day. And in the same way that Strava is deeply committed to unlocking the potential of our athletes, we are dedicated to providing a world-class workplace where our employees can grow and thrive. Join us!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
Strava is composed of dedicated, fun-loving individuals, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. And it feels like we’re onto something big. Millions of athletes are already on Strava, with thousands more joining every day, and we’ve assembled an awesome team to keep us growing all around the world.
Want to learn more about Strava? Visit http://www.strava.com
Jobs You May Like
Senior Software Engineer
Warby Parker, New York, NY
Senior Front End Developers - Online Store Editor
Software QA Engineer (Contract)
PlayStation, San Francisco, CA
Senior Graphics/ Engine Programmer
PlayStation, Playa Vista, CA
Senior Software Engineer: Backend (CS Tech)
Software Engineer, Content Data
Pinterest, San Francisco