Server Software Engineer
Strava, San Francisco, CA
Strava's mobile app and website connect millions of runners and cyclists through the sports they love
As a server engineer at Strava, you will build the systems and services that support our mobile and web applications. In this role, you will work across the breadth of Strava’s backend systems including services for social features, services that interact with our geo data and many others. You will improve existing services and design new ones, and you will work closely with our Infrastructure engineering team to ensure these systems are reliable and performant. You will support short-term feature velocity while also planning and executing longer-term technology initiatives.
About the role
You will be joining one of our cross functional product teams. These are dynamic groups that include engineers, product managers, designers and analysts working together to achieve our product goals. We value individual ownership, feedback, initiative and collaboration.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will:
- Build services that improve the athlete experience on our apps and website.
- Deliver backend services in large, reliable and scalable distributed systems.
- Learn from experienced distributed systems engineers.
- Care deeply about the athlete experience.
You will be successful here by:
- Demonstrating empathy for athletes and their experience while using Strava.
- Taking ownership of your work, partnering with cross functional peers to ensure services are properly scoped and implemented.
- Be willing to explore and learn new technologies outside of your comfort zone.
We’re excited about you because you have experience with:
- Building services in a production environment (using Ruby, Java, Scala, Go, Python etc). We work in Ruby and Scala.
- Using AWS (or alternative) to manage cloud based infrastructure.
- Implementing relational or NoSQL databases in Production (MySQL, Redis, or Cassandra).
- Open source distributed systems technologies. We use Kafka, ZooKeeper, Finagle, Storm, Spark, Elasticsearch, Mesos, and Docker.
We'd love to talk to you about the future of Strava’s core technologies and your role in developing it. Please take a look at the links below to learn about the exciting work we are doing.
- The Engineering Blog covers a wide range of topics, from how we rebuilt our leaderboard systems to how we have refined our interview process.
Strava Labs shows off some of our R+D efforts, and gives a sense of the power and scale of Strava’s datasets.
Strava is composed of dedicated, fun-loving individuals, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. And it feels like we’re onto something big. Millions of athletes are already on Strava, with thousands more joining every day, and we’ve assembled an awesome team to keep us growing all around the world.
Want to learn more about Strava? Visit Strava's website.
Jobs You May Like
Android Engineer (London or Leeds, UK)
Credit Karma, London, UK
Ruby on Rails Engineer
Insider, Istanbul, Turkey
ZeroCater, San Francisco, CA
Senior Network Engineer
Tinder, Palo Alto, California
Formlabs, Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina
Senior Cloud Engineer
Braintribe, Vienna, Austria