Software Engineer- Metro
Strava, San Francisco, CA - Strava HQ
Strava's mobile app and website connect millions of runners and cyclists through the sports they love
Strava is composed of dedicated, fun-loving individuals, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. And it feels like we’re onto something big. Millions of athletes are already on Strava, with thousands more joining every day, and we’ve assembled an awesome team to keep us growing all around the world. Strava is the Swedish word for “strive,” which epitomizes our attitude and ambition: We’re a passionate community, committed to our athletes, each other, our business, and the deeply held belief that there’s always time for a run, ride, coffee or all three.
Strava Metro makes riding, running and walking in cities better. Millions of people upload their rides and runs to Strava every week via their smartphone or GPS device. Metro anonymizes and aggregates this data to deliver unique insights into how people are riding, running, and walking in their communities.
About this role
We're at an exciting point where we're starting to both transition to new internal systems and explore new ways of delivering new insights to a growing base of clients who range from small municipalities to large states and countries. Our new systems are based on service-oriented and streaming architectures, and we're looking at a combination of unique analyses and dynamic data visualizations to provide insights.
We are looking for an engineer with both breadth and depth of experience who can augment the engineering effort to build the next generation of Metro. Your focus will be on the applications that clients use to interact with Metro and their data, but you will also have a hand in improving the internal applications that support our processes. You are comfortable working on both the server side and the client side.
Many parts of the Metro client experience are yet to be built so you will have a leading hand in both implementing them and in shaping technical direction. Your work will ensure that the entire Metro experience is seamless and powerful - ultimately changing the way cities plan their future infrastructure supporting cyclists and pedestrians.
- Work with the Metro team to design, build, and maintain production applications.
- Work with the Strava engineering team in San Francisco to ensure that solutions work in the larger Strava engineering ecosystem.
- Provide technical feedback to other engineers through code reviews, engineering design reviews, and collaborative problem solving sessions.
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience plus at least 5 years industry experience.
- Excellent programming skills with at least one other language such as Ruby, Python, or Scala.
- Experience with a relational database such as PostgreSQL and ideally one or more NoSQL data stores such as Cassandra.
- Demonstrated design and UX sensibilities.
- Disciplined approach to testing and quality assurance.
- Experience with cloud-based services such as Amazon AWS.
- Ability to travel at least a couple of times a year.
- Experience developing innovative analyses / visualizations and map-based applications.
- Experience with GIS concepts, tools, and frameworks.
- Exposure to architectural patterns of a large, high-scale web application.
- Experience with open-source technologies like Docker, Finagle, Kafka, Mesos, Spark, and ZooKeeper.
- Experience working with distributed teams.
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, Strava is expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. By joining our team, you will help push Strava forward in fresh, innovative ways. You will engage in interesting and challenging work that will improve the lives of our athletes every day. And in the same way that Strava is deeply committed to unlocking the potential of our athletes, we are dedicated to providing a world-class workplace where our employees can grow and thrive. Join us!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
Strava is composed of dedicated, fun-loving individuals, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. And it feels like we’re onto something big. Millions of athletes are already on Strava, with thousands more joining every day, and we’ve assembled an awesome team to keep us growing all around the world.
Want to learn more about Strava? Visit http://www.strava.com
Jobs You May Like
Principal Software Engineer, Analytics
MuleSoft, Mountain View
Senior Engineering Manager, Search Infrastructure (San Francisco or Brooklyn)
Etsy, Brooklyn OR San Francisco
Software Engineering Intern
PlayStation, San Francisco, CA
Sr. Software Security Engineer, Platform Security (GN)
PlayStation, San Mateo, CA
Site Reliability Engineer (SRE)
Yelp, San Francisco, CA
Senior Software Engineer, Windows
Evernote, Redwood City, CA