Senior Engineering Manager, Product Engineering
Strava, San Francisco, CA
Strava's mobile app and website connect millions of runners and cyclists through the sports they love
About the role
Millions of people are motivated by Strava every day. Our goal is to be the home of their athletic lives, capturing their activities, inspiring them every day, and making every activity count.
Strava is looking for an experienced engineering manager to grow and lead a team of product engineers responsible for Summit, Strava’s subscription membership offering. You will work cross-functionally with product management, design, analytics, and marketing to create experiences that merchandise the Summit product and deliver value to paying Summit members
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will:
- Lead an engineering team in delivery of experiences that delight Strava’s most engaged members - so much that they are willing to pay for the experience.
- Solve meaningful and impactful problems at the intersection of people, product, business, and technology.
- Collaborate closely with product management, design, and analytics leaders to define strategy and execute on a roadmap for the Summit team.
- Contribute to initiatives (e.g diversity and inclusion, technical brand, hiring process) that have an impact on Strava’s entire technology organization.
You will be successful here by:
- Setting appropriate context for the entire team, focusing on their impact to Strava’s mission.
- Evaluating trade-offs and effectively prioritizing tasks within the team in alignment with strategic initiatives and company goals.
- Mentoring and coaching engineers to help them grow in their careers, including supporting and developing other engineering leads and managers on your team as it grows.
- Striving to measure the impact of your team’s work with a focus on data driven decision making.
- Building a culture of trust and accountability on your team.
We’re excited about you because you have experience:
- Leading an engineering team that ships consumer experiences on Android, iOS, and the web.
- Recruiting and hiring engineering talent - you will be deeply involved in sourcing, interviewing, and hiring for your team.
- Managing performance - you can empathetically handle difficult performance issues, and you love challenging top performers to be even better.
- Building and shipping consumer facing products at a non-trivial scale.
- Communicating effectively to varying technical and non-technical audiences, both orally and in writing.
We'd love to talk to you about the future of Strava’s core technologies and your role in developing it. Please take a look at the links below to learn about the exciting work we are doing.
- The Engineering Blog covers a wide range of topics, from how we rebuilt our leaderboard systems to how we have refined our interview process.
Strava Labs shows off some of our R+D efforts, and gives a sense of the power and scale of Strava’s datasets.
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes our attitude and ambition: We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. Every day, we’re searching for new ways to inspire athletes and make the sports they love even more fun. But it’s not only about achieving – we’re an inclusive team, dedicated to elevating each other and the members of our community. That balanced approach has helped us revolutionize our industry, and we’re just getting started. Millions of athletes are on Strava, millions more will come. When you’re ready for a challenge and a team that will support you along the way, join us.
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, Strava is expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. By joining our team, you will help push Strava forward in fresh, innovative ways. You will engage in interesting and challenging work that will improve the lives of our athletes every day. And in the same way that Strava is deeply committed to unlocking the potential of our athletes, we are dedicated to providing a world-class workplace where our employees can grow and thrive. Join us!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
Strava is composed of dedicated, fun-loving individuals, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. And it feels like we’re onto something big. Millions of athletes are already on Strava, with thousands more joining every day, and we’ve assembled an awesome team to keep us growing all around the world.