Software Engineer, Full-stack Web, Competition and Community Team
Strava, Denver, Colorado, Remote (USA), San Francisco, CA
Strava's mobile app and website connect millions of runners and cyclists through the sports they love
About This Role
We are looking for a web engineer to join us in building the home for our athletes’ athletic life. This team works on a wide range of product surfaces aimed at engaging our users and fostering competition with themselves and among their fellow Athletes. Engineers are challenged both with helping build new features as well as improving existing features and technologies to scale with our ever-growing athlete base. Fast iteration and A/B testing are core to how the team operates, and every engineer gets the opportunity to both pitch and own projects. We are a collaborative and cross-functional team which includes both mobile and web engineering; product management; design; data analysis; and research functions.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will:
- Build, support, and own athlete experiences that are powered by backend technologies like Scala microservices and Ruby on Rails.
- Create visual experiences that will wow athletes with technologies such as React, NextJS and others.
- Incorporate user feedback, understand how users interact with the platform and experiment with A / B testing throughout the release of a product.
- Continuously learn new technologies and help validate concepts, while contributing to the growth of Strava’s engineering organization.
- Utilize DevOps tools and practices for building, deploying, and maintaining software in production environments.
You will be successful here by:
- Being someone who excels at user-centric product development and has a passion for making long-lasting products.
- Learning and approaching novel problems with an open mind. You know how to leverage the experience of others and when to ask for help.
- Caring about the people you work with and empathizing with athletes and their experience while using Strava.
We’re excited about you because:
- You are comfortable with REST API’s, and have a solid understanding of data structures and have worked with software that implements microservice architecture.
- You enjoy working on product development at all levels – from building visual experiences, to integrating with microservices, to writing unit tests.
- You have worked in a collaborative environment where you review code from your peers and foster technical growth.
- You bring excitement to the table. You want to work with cross functional peers in a collaborative environment.
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. And with billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and audacious vision: to be the record of the world’s athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes’ days even better. And just as we’re deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we’re dedicated to providing a world-class, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We’re backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, and we’re expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community – we are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.
In light of the global pandemic, Strava is currently working in a fully remote capacity. As always, we remain committed to fully supporting our employees, especially their mental health and wellbeing, through these challenging times. Despite challenges in the world around us, we are continuing to grow camaraderie and positivity within our culture and we are unified in our commitment to becoming an antiracist company. We are differentiated by our truly people-first approach, our compassionate leadership, and our belief that we can bring joy and inspiration to athletes’ lives — now more than ever. All to say, it’s a great time to join Strava!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
For more information on compensation and benefits, please click here.
Strava is composed of dedicated, fun-loving individuals, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. And it feels like we’re onto something big. Millions of athletes are already on Strava, with thousands more joining every day, and we’ve assembled an awesome team to keep us growing all around the world.
Want to learn more about Strava? Visit Strava's website.
High-quality tools for hosting, sharing, and streaming videos