Data Analyst, Communications
Strava, Remote (USA)
Strava's mobile app and website connect millions of runners and cyclists through the sports they love
About this Role
Strava is the world’s largest athletic community and the social platform at the center of connected fitness. With 73 million athletes on Strava and 2 million more joining every month, we’re growing fast. We understand that each of these athletes has a story to tell and that our data is the record of those stories.
We are looking for a data analyst to join our Communications team to use Strava’s data assets to draw deep insights crafted to support our press strategies, drive brand awareness among qualified audiences at scale, and position Strava as the record of the world’s athletic activities. Additionally, you’ll help define and operationalize success measurement for data storytelling and communications initiatives.
We're thrilled to see your curiosity in finding novel insights through data and your passion for crafting powerful narratives using quantitative insights. You'll bring a data-driven perspective to the Communications team and provide quantitative leadership to uncover newsworthy insights that speak to the press, athletes, and key business partners.
You'll also help lead Strava’s commitment to becoming an antiracist company through supporting and amplifying the stories of BIPOC and under-represented athletes in our community through our communication efforts.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will:
- Partner with Strava's Communications team to define the data storytelling strategy and produce the quantitative content that is central to its execution.
- Define and execute large-scale, tentpole data storytelling moments and establish data storytelling franchises (e.g. Year in Sport), white papers and studies.
- Deliver quantitative analysis for inbound requests from U.S. and global Communications teams aligned with the data storytelling strategy, highest priority markets and core KPI’s.
- Build and implement proprietary metrics and data storytelling points (e.g. Public Relations, XOM index by key city), and build self-service analytical tools (data pipelines, dashboards, etc.) to scale the impact of your work across each of our global press markets.
- Collaborate with the rest of the data organization at Strava (Machine Learning, Data Platform, etc) to collectively improve our technological craftsmanship.
We’re excited about you because you:
- Have 2+ years of full-time experience in analytics, data science, data journalism or other quantitative domains.
- Are proficient with data visualization technologies, such as R, Python, or D3, and have a track record of using data visualizations to communicate quantitative insights to a broader audience.
- Are highly proficient with SQL and are comfortable with Business Intelligence tools (e.g. Tableau)
- Have an understanding of data pipeline concepts (e.g. ETL, scripting common analysis workflows).
- Communicate successfully with business and client partners, and your written, oral, and cross-cultural communication is excellent- especially when it comes to quantitative or technical content.
- Are comfortable handling concurrent projects and meeting goals, even in the context of results-oriented deadlines or priorities.
- Are eager to make your mark. Finding things in data that others have overlooked and by helping translate, the broader team improves our platform and ways of working.
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. And with billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and audacious vision: to be the record of the world’s athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes’ days even better. And just as we’re deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we’re dedicated to providing a world-class, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We’re backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, and we’re expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community – we are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.
In light of the global pandemic, Strava is currently working in a fully remote capacity. As always, we remain committed to fully supporting our employees, especially their mental health and wellbeing, through these challenging times. Despite challenges in the world around us, we are continuing to grow camaraderie and positivity within our culture and we are unified in our commitment to becoming an antiracist company. We are differentiated by our truly people-first approach, our compassionate leadership, and our belief that we can bring joy and inspiration to athletes’ lives — now more than ever. All to say, it’s a great time to join Strava!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
For more information on compensation and benefits, please click here.
Strava is composed of dedicated, fun-loving individuals, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. And it feels like we’re onto something big. Millions of athletes are already on Strava, with thousands more joining every day, and we’ve assembled an awesome team to keep us growing all around the world.
Want to learn more about Strava? Visit Strava's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.