Data Infrastructure Engineer
Strava, San Francisco, CA
Strava's mobile app and website connect millions of runners and cyclists through the sports they love
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes our attitude and ambition: We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. Every day, we’re searching for new ways to inspire athletes and make the sports they love even more fun. But it’s not only about achieving – we’re an inclusive team, dedicated to elevating each other and the members of our community. That balanced approach has helped us revolutionize our industry, and we’re just getting started. Millions of athletes are on Strava, millions more will come. When you’re ready for a challenge and a team that will support you along the way, join us.
About the role:
Every day, Strava collects massive amounts of information from athletes all over the world. Both our core business strategies and product vision are fueled by this data. We are looking for a data infrastructure engineer to help us unlock the potential of our dataset and scale our analytics capabilities. You will be responsible for building and maintaining infrastructure to enable the next generation of features and analysis.
We'd love to talk to you about the future of Strava’s Engineering and your role in it. Please take a look at the links below to learn about the exciting work we are doing.
- The Engineering Blog covers a wide range of topics, from how we rebuilt our leaderboard systems to how we have refined our interview process.
- Strava Labs shows off some of our R+D efforts, and gives a sense of the power and scale of Strava’s datasets.
- Design, build, and launch systems for storing, aggregating, and analyzing large amounts of data
- Improve and maintain ETL infrastructure and tools to keep pace with the growth of our data and its consumers
- Work with platform, web, and mobile engineering teams to ensure that data is available for reporting and analysis
- Uncover insights about our global community of athletes, both for internal and external consumption
- B.S. in computer science, statistics, mathematics or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience designing, building and maintaining software
- Experience building production-quality systems to work with large amounts of data
- Excellent programming skills in at least one language such as Scala, Python, Ruby, or Go
- Advanced SQL skills
- Experience with relational data stores such as MySQL or PostgreSQL and ideally one or more NoSQL data stores (e.g. Redis, Cassandra)
- Experience with cloud-based services such as Amazon AWS
- Experience with open source technologies like Kafka, Storm, Spark, Elasticsearch, Mesos, and Docker
- Experience with ETL technologies such as Luigi, Airflow, or Azkaban
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, Strava is expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. By joining our team, you will help push Strava forward in fresh, innovative ways. You will engage in interesting and challenging work that will improve the lives of our athletes every day. And in the same way that Strava is deeply committed to unlocking the potential of our athletes, we are dedicated to providing a world-class workplace where our employees can grow and thrive. Join us!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
Strava is composed of dedicated, fun-loving individuals, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. And it feels like we’re onto something big. Millions of athletes are already on Strava, with thousands more joining every day, and we’ve assembled an awesome team to keep us growing all around the world.
Want to learn more about Strava? Visit Strava's website.
Jobs You May Like
Fullstack Engineer - Developer Experience Team
Twitch, San Francisco, CA
Backend Developer (Java) (m/f)
Melbourne IT, Melbourne
Software Test Automation Engineer
Trendyol, Istanbul / Maslak
Confluent Cloud Site Reliability Engineer
Confluent, Palo Alto
Director Partner Engagement, Member Acquisition
Netflix, Los Gatos, California