Server Applications Software Engineer
Strava, San Francisco, CA - Strava HQ
Strava's mobile app and website connect millions of runners and cyclists through the sports they love
Strava is composed of dedicated, fun individuals, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. And it feels like we’re onto something big. Millions of athletes are already on Strava, with thousands more joining every day, and we’ve assembled an awesome team to keep us growing all around the world. Strava is the Swedish word for “strive,” which epitomizes our attitude and ambition: We’re a passionate community, committed to our athletes, each other, our business, and the deeply held belief that there’s always time for a run, ride, coffee or all three.
About this role
We are looking for an engineer with substantial industry experience, preferably in high-volume consumer internet services. As a server application engineer, you’ll create the core services and applications underpinning the Strava product on the web and mobile platforms. You will encounter a wide variety of projects, from advanced push notifications and message systems, to analyzing and tuning the performance of the application stack. You’ll also help us evolve the core technology and architecture which enables our applications to continue to scale to support our rapidly growing user base.
- Implementing an end-to-end system to reliably track and report user behavior analytics
- Measuring, analyzing and tuning the performance of the application stack
- Building a system that drives messaging and push notifications across all our product platforms
- Implementing a near-instant workflow to synchronize across Strava and third-party data warehouses
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Excellent programming skills with at least one scripting language (e.g. Ruby, Python) and one statically typed language (e.g. Scala, Java)
- Disciplined approach to testing and quality assurance
- At least 5 years of industry experience working on the server-side
- Exposure to architectural patterns of a large, high-scale web application
- Experience with Ruby-on-Rails in production environments
- Familiarity with normalized and denormalized data stores (e.g. MySQL, Cassandra, Redshift)
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, Strava is expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. By joining our team, you will help push Strava forward in fresh, innovative ways. You will engage in interesting and challenging work that will improve the lives of our athletes every day. And in the same way that Strava is deeply committed to unlocking the potential of our athletes, we are dedicated to providing a world-class workplace where our employees can grow and thrive. Join us!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
Strava is composed of dedicated, fun-loving individuals, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. And it feels like we’re onto something big. Millions of athletes are already on Strava, with thousands more joining every day, and we’ve assembled an awesome team to keep us growing all around the world.
Want to learn more about Strava? Visit http://www.strava.com
Jobs You May Like
Snap Inc., Los Angeles, CA
Lead Data Engineer
Director of Reliability Software Engineering (RSWE)
Lyft, San Francisco, CA
Time Inc., New York, NY
MuleSoft, New York City, New Jersey, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington D.C, Remote
Senior Engineer, Media Engineering & Partnerships
Netflix, Mumbai, India