Server Applications Software Engineer – Premium
Strava, San Francisco, CA - Strava HQ
Strava's mobile app and website connect millions of runners and cyclists through the sports they love
Strava is composed of dedicated, fun individuals, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. And it feels like we’re onto something big. Millions of athletes are already on Strava, with thousands more joining every day, and we’ve assembled an awesome team to keep us growing all around the world. Strava is the Swedish word for “strive,” which epitomizes our attitude and ambition: We’re a passionate community, committed to our athletes, each other, our business, and the deeply held belief that there’s always time for a run, ride, coffee or all three.
About this role
We are looking for an engineer with several years of industry experience, preferably in high-volume consumer internet services. As a server application engineer, you’ll create the core services and applications underpinning Strava Premium. You will encounter a wide variety of projects, from working on subscription renewal and payments systems to building services supporting Premium features. You’ll also help us evolve the core technology and architecture which enables our applications to continue to scale to support our rapidly growing user base.
- Build a service for seeing sets of friends on a map
- Modernize purchasing by bringing renewals from Rails to its own service and adding monitoring to all steps
- Test pricing by country
- Enable subscription extension as a reward
- Update our Trials infrastructure from a scheduled job to an events based, distributed system
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Excellent programming skills with at least one scripting language (e.g. Ruby, Python) and one statically typed language (e.g. Scala, Java)
- Disciplined approach to testing and quality assurance
- At least 3 years of industry experience working on the server-side
- Exposure to architectural patterns of a large, high-scale web application
- Experience with Ruby-on-Rails in production environments
- Familiarity with normalized and denormalized data stores (e.g. MySQL, Cassandra, Redshift)
- Familiarity with stream processing frameworks like Storm or Flink, and distributed brokers like Kafka
- Experience with Google Play purchases, iTunes purchases, or Adyen
- Experience with financial reporting
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, Strava is expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. By joining our team, you will help push Strava forward in fresh, innovative ways. You will engage in interesting and challenging work that will improve the lives of our athletes every day. And in the same way that Strava is deeply committed to unlocking the potential of our athletes, we are dedicated to providing a world-class workplace where our employees can grow and thrive. Join us!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
Strava is composed of dedicated, fun-loving individuals, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. And it feels like we’re onto something big. Millions of athletes are already on Strava, with thousands more joining every day, and we’ve assembled an awesome team to keep us growing all around the world.
Want to learn more about Strava? Visit http://www.strava.com
Jobs You May Like
Big Data Engineer (m/f)
Software Engineer - Backend
Betterment, Betterment HQ - New York City
Software Engineer, Product Security
Airbnb, San Francisco, California
Technical Program Manager: Internal Productivity
Lyft, San Francisco, CA
Site Reliability Engineer
Fitbit, US - Boston
Senior Software Engineer (Front End, Back End)
PlayStation, Aliso Viejo, CA