StudyBlue is a well-funded, fast-growing, and exciting educational startup. We’re the leading crowdsourced learning service built to help students succeed in school and beyond. Used by millions of students to learn faster, stress less, study anywhere and get better grades. We work hard, but we treat our hard workers very well. We offer the unique opportunity to have fun and work on amazing projects while reshaping the world of education.
You’re a talented, hardworking human being who is hungry to do big things. You have a passion for building scalable and efficient Java based systems. You are comfortable working with SQL and No-SQL data stores, and understand the tradeoffs selecting between the different storage technologies. You consider complexity, performance, and maintainability all at the same time. You aren’t biased against writing your own solution or using existing libraries and frameworks, depending on what each individual situation requires. You work well with others and are eager to use your experiences and skills to mentor teammates.
- Write and review application code while considering storage performance, scalability, maintainability, and flexibility.
- Build out scalable java platform architecture, infrastructure, and data models.
- Responsible for quality, reliability and maintainability of software processes.
- Build a recommendation engine from the ground up.
- Contribute to our test framework
- Share the knowledge and elevate the backend engineering team with code reviews, suggested refactoring, and beneficial external technologies
- Implement/develop the Data layer (i.e. connection pools, read/write split, failover…)
- Implement background job framework and jobs
- Contribute to the runtime environment architecture (i.e. Tomcat settings, startup sequence, spring, ….)
- Build out unit/integration testing architecture
- Work with mobile and web engineers to create/enhance a RESTful API
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Math, Engineering or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience developing software with Java
- Proficient with MongoDB/Elasticsearch or equivalent
- Self-motivated and organized, with the ability to manage and deliver on multiple projects at once
- Working knowledge of AWS Cloud Technologies.
- Excited to challenge yourself
- Exhibit of a sense of ownership for the quality of your work
- Strong working knowledge of Postgres
- Working knowledge of Machine Learning
- Experience with MapReduce and Recommendation engines
- Believer - in something - anything!
- Exposure to continuous delivery and continuous deployment
- Experience with replication and distributed data stores.
- Familiarity with software version control systems (i.e. Git).
- Has hit “reply all” by accident at least once
What We Can Offer You
- The Best Equipment Available
- Flex-Hours & Open Vacation Policy
- Health, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Employee 401k & Stock Options
- Commitment to Professional Development
- Commuter Benefits
- Sabbatical Program
- Wellness Stipend
- Fun Team Activities
StudyBlue is an equal opportunity employer who participates in E-Verify.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Conquer Your Course™ When you need study help, we have answers. Find materials for your class
Want to learn more about StudyBlue? Visit StudyBlue's website.
Using digital technology to transform the physical world