SurveyMonkey (NASDAQ: SVMK) is a leading global survey software company on a mission to power the curious. The company’s People Powered Data platform empowers over 17 million active users to measure and understand feedback from employees, customers, website and app users, and the market. SurveyMonkey’s products, enterprise solutions and integrations enable 335,000+ organizations to solve daily challenges, from delivering better customer experiences to increasing employee retention. With SurveyMonkey, organizations around the world can transform feedback into business intelligence that drives growth and innovation.
SurveyMonkey is a place where the curious come to grow. By embedding inclusion into our processes, policies, and culture, we are building a workplace for our 1,000+ employees across North America, Europe, and APAC where people of every background can thrive. We’ve won multiple awards and received recognition for our forward-looking policies, including extended parental and bereavement leave, vendor benefits standards, and Take 4 sabbaticals. SurveyMonkey was recognized by Great Place to Work® and FORTUNE as a top workplace in 2018 and 2019, and the company has also won numerous awards as a leader in global survey software, including being named among CNBC’s Disruptor 50 and the Forbes Cloud 100.
Over the past two years we’ve become a public company and expanded our platform with enterprise-grade features in privacy, security and compliance, putting SurveyMonkey on the path to rapidly expand our presence within the Fortune 500. We have ambitious goals to grow our international footprint as well, and every member of our troop plays a critical role in driving this growth and transformation. It’s an incredible time to join the company and be a part of our next chapter!
SurveyMonkey is seeking a VP of Data to lead the company’s data strategy, operations and unlock the value embedded in the company’s Data assets. The VP of Data is much more than an operational role: SurveyMonkey’s core strategy is to create new lines of business from its Data assets. The perfect candidate for the VP Data will be a “startup entrepreneur” who can envision the strategy, team, and products that are enabled by the breadth and depth of SurveyMonkey’s business, while having the experience to build a proven world class data strategy.
The VP, Data will build out the company’s Data Analytics, Data Science and Data infrastructure functions, enabling the larger organization to effectively leverage the tools, processes and systems to better understand their business. The VP, Data will build out the team that will enable the enterprise to leverage data assets and to advance the company’s Data Science/Machine Learning platform, tools, and initiatives.
The VP of Data’s role is a mix of data strategy, engineering, data science and startup leadership. He/She will need to be a combination of an evangelist for data sharing, a technologist who envisions the future roadmap, and an entrepreneurial developer of new data infrastructure and products.
The VP of Data role shall seek to:
- Develop the strategy, plan, vision and cross-functional team to create a holistic Data strategy for SurveyMonkey
- Build on the world class data science infrastructure and team to create a competitive advantage from SurveyMonkey’s scale
- Recruit, develop and retain world class data science, engineering, and product talent to create the next generation of SurveyMonkey products and enterprise analytics
- Lead SurveyMonkey efforts combine real time web events, machine learning models, databases, and linkages between datasets to optimize our current business and create new businesses
- Envision and improve how SurveyMonkey collects, uses, manages, and publishes data
- Envision and execute a technical vision for the next generation of SurveyMonkey’s data platform and infrastructure, including real time personalization of the site experience
- Empower SurveyMonkey engineering and product to utilize suite of of data analytics, data science, and big data technology both as contributors and self-service customers
- Enable engineering teams to BYOM (bring your own data science models) from concept to production
- Ensure data is available, reliable, consistent, accessible, secure, and timely to support the mission and activities of SurveyMonkey
- Drive the Data Analytics team to surface opportunities and insights to enable the organization to drive the business
- Run the day to day operations of Data Analytics and Data Science
- Leadership of the Business Intelligence, Data Engineering and Data Science teams
- Ownership over the definition and delivery of our Data Roadmap, including required skills/roles and technology
- Develops and drives a data self service architecture and necessary organizational processes
- Works closely with the CIO/CISO to develop data quality measures and practices to improve the SurveyMonkey’s data and to protect sensitive information
- Develops a team of data practitioners to enable and support a culture of data sharing and repurposing including data scientists, data quality experts, and data architects
- In consultation with SVP Product and SVP Engineering decides on products, services and technical architectures that support the SurveyMonkey product roadmap and vision
- Evangelize engineers, customers, and the industry to promote SurveyMonkey data and data services
- Development of the SurveyMonkey Data Platform strategy
- Ownership of the vision for data products and services
Success looks like:
- Establishing SurveyMonkey leadership as a data platform, measured by outside benchmarks, speaking engagements, and industry visibility
- Ultimately shipping new products, built on the SurveyMonkey data platform as part of the long term strategy of the company
- Widespread adoption of SurveyMonkey tools and data across the organization in a manner that accelerates innovation, surfaces critical insights, and reduces time to market
- Establishment of a BYOM (Bring your own model) for Data Science, and a widespread increase in the capability and data science and analytical expertise across the company
- Self Service for Data Consumers and Data Analysts across the company
- Establishment of a Data Science center of excellence that can educate SurveyMonkey employees on the tools, processes, and procedures
- Being regarded as the world-class organization in Data Science and Business Intelligence
- Demonstrated excellence in Business Intelligence,Data Engineering, and Data Science
- Proven entrepreneurial success in creating new teams and businesses
- A track record of delivery on complex data-intensive projects
- 10 years of hands on Data Engineering, IT, and Data Science management in an entrepreneurial environment
- 5-10 years of Data Science and/or Business Intelligence
- 5 years experience in Machine Learning
- Excellent communication, org transformation, and leadership skills
- Proven ability to hire, build, and scale technical teams
- Proven ability to develop and drive organizational data governance
- Relentless curiosity and passion for data science, technical systems, and data products
- PhD or MA ideal, but not required
- Experience with R/Python and best of breed Data Infrastructure, Business Intelligence and Data engineering solutions
SurveyMonkey is the world's largest survey company, helping customers collect 2.8 million online survey responses every day. SurveyMonkey has revolutionized the way people give and take feedback, making it accessible, easy and affordable for everyone.