“Let’s build Cross-Reality together.” Statements like that are what drive and excite us here. If you’re interested in working alongside passionate game developers that are driving towards the next evolution of immersive gaming then you should join us. Survios, the foremost virtual reality game developer and pioneer of the future of immersive technologies, has an opening for a talented Technical Art Director to help push the quality and innovation to the next level with our talented Technical Art Team!
- Spearhead the research and development of new art technologies and pipelines, working closely with artists, designers, engineers and more across multiple projects.
- Drive the creation, improvement, and enforcement of pipelines and processes across all elements of game development, with the goals of efficiency, performance, and aesthetics.
- Develop and train artists to be technically savvy, fostering technical understanding and discussion across all art disciplines.
- Be the first line of defense for the art team when a technical problem arises.
- Work with the artists to ensure they achieve the artistic vision, while meeting performance goals and technical requirements.
- Work with the Engineering Team to ensure that the technology is in place to hit industry leading visuals.
- Work with the Design Team to ensure the pipeline is capable of achieving key design pillars.
- Serve as a mentor and coach for talent to grow in the Technical Art domain.
- 5+ years of leading edge game art experience in a technical position and must have shipped more than one 3D title on current-gen consoles.
- Dedicated to promoting a positive technical art culture that champions new ideas to leadership, empowers artists to achieve their vision, while growing and maintaining a positive collaborative environment.
- Excellent leadership, communication, interpersonal, organizational, and documentation skills.
- Define and enforce standards and best practices for internal and outsourced art development, including the creation and curation of asset management tools and documentation.
- A strong understanding of modern 3D engines, Art pipelines, and the techniques and technology behind them.
- Ability to work well under pressure and with deadlines.
- Technical proficiency in understanding proprietary tools and technology.
- Creative problem solving skills.
- Strong understanding of game planning and development.
- A deep understanding of game art optimization.
- Must be familiar with one or more types of 3D software (Maya, 3DMax, Zbrush, Houdini, etc.) We are an Unreal / Maya studio
- Passion for making and playing great games, with an awareness of current titles and industry trends.
Areas of Expertise:
A Technical Art Director should have a broad knowledge base, with working knowledge in many of the following areas, and a deep expertise in one or more, with a willingness to step into or delegate in any of of these areas:
- Character Pipelines (modeling, rigging, skinning, character re-use or customization systems, etc).
- Environment Pipelines (“tileset” or “modular kit” construction, tiling / blending materials, collision/occlusion/technical data, streaming management, etc).
- Procedural Pipelines (Houdini, Substance, bespoke content systems).
- Shader / Lighting / FX / Rendering Pipelines.
- Physics including Ragdolls, Rigid Bodies, and Destructibles.
- Scaleable content pipelines to support cross-platform development (we develop for a wide range of VR hardware (Oculus Quest, PSVR, PC VR) and a wide range of flatscreen hardware (Nintendo Switch, PS4/Xbox One, PS5/Xbox Series X).
- Previous experience working with VR.
- Deep Experience in Unreal Engine.
Survios is at the forefront of VR game development and is pioneering the future of immersive technologies. Since inception, we have taken a holistic approach to virtual reality innovation, developing hardware, software, and games hand-in-hand to take VR to places that no one has dreamed possible. Survios offers a pet-friendly work environment with unlimited vacation time and a host of other perks and benefits to give our team everything we need to create unrivaled Active Virtual Reality experiences.
OUR STORY In March 2012 we launched Project Holodeck as an interdisciplinary effort at the University of Southern California, bringing together a team of technical artists and engineers to tackle big challenges such as avatar embodiment, positional movement, 3DUI, and game design for VR. As our final project we developed one of the first full-motion VR games ever, called Wild Skies. Soon enough we were able to build a truly immersive VR environment that was intuitive, engaging, and (we think) super entertaining.
Want to learn more about Survios? Visit Survios's website.
Disrupting how fans discover the best new music and events