Tala is seeking an experienced senior Recoveries leader to help us lead our growing operational team servicing customers in the East Africa region. Tala is a world leader in providing direct loans and financial services in emerging markets. We are a global team with diverse backgrounds who are singularly focused on using technology, data, and a customer-centric approach to meet the financial needs of the 2+ billion people of the emerging global middle class.
In this role, you will be responsible for managing on-site teams responsible for collections operations with direct accountability for recoveries performance, full cycle personnel management, quality of service, and budget management. You will be responsible for developing and implementing collections strategies, including tests, omni-channel collections, account segmentation, and new technologies. Additionally, you will have direct responsibility for hiring, performance management, scheduling, and incentive strategies. Finally, you will be responsible for developing and managing quality assurance programs, performance reporting, and continuous improvement projects.
Great candidates will have extensive experience leading collections/recoveries departments, ideally for a lender in the East Africa region, with strong analytical, organizational development/design, and hands-on operational management skills. You can and will roll up your sleeves to solve problems: you have a deep sense of accountability for (and demonstrated experience delivering) results as well as the success and growth of your teams. You have experience goal-setting and projecting growth, with a knack for cascading and communicating quantifiable, aggressive targets to your teams. Your teams and colleagues would describe you as an excellent communicator and decision-maker, adept at ensuring a large, varied audience understands issues, context, tradeoffs between different solutions, and reasons for decisions.
- Manage several collections teams to Recovery Rate, Cure Rate, and QA (Quality Assurance) KPIs, with direct accountability for results.
- Develop a team of supervisors that consistently lead teams to beat performance and quality targets using a data-first approach.
- Manage hiring, staffing, scheduling, payroll, incentives and growth projections, within cost boundaries, collaborating closely with support teams (HR, IT, Finance).
- Identify, prioritize, and implement collections tests and improvement strategies with team of analysts and supervisors.
- Identify root cause of issues impacting collections results, communicate tradeoffs/risks for different solutions, and lead implementation of improvement programs.
- Develop and report on KPI progress as well as indicators/inputs impacting performance
- Evaluate performance of team members and provide guidance regarding development. Ensure your teams have the right skills, tools and talents to perform in their roles and develop within the organization.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in Collections with at least 5 years of director level experience, preferably with a lender
- Experience managing large teams who are servicing the East Africa region and deep understanding of regional differences
- Experience directly hiring and managing collectors and supervisory staff
- Experience developing staffing and budget projections and collections compensation and incentive programs
- Experience communicating with varied audiences: junior staff through executive
- Deep experience assessing and utilising operational and customer data to identify performance gaps, drive improvement, highlight opportunities for future growth, and make management decisions
- Excel, SQL, or other business analytics tools experience
- Comfort with ambiguity, a rapidly changing environment, and communicating assumptions & risks of decisions
- Willingness to travel within region
- Experience working in a startup environment
- Experience with call center and telephony tech systems
- Experience working with an international team
We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse team with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We focus on hiring talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Tala is the leading mobile technology and data science company committed to financial inclusion globally. Millions of people have borrowed through Tala's smartphone app, which provides instant, personalized credit to underserved customers in East Africa, Southeast Asia, and Latin America. Tala is backed by leading venture and impact investors including PayPal, Revolution Growth, IVP, and Lowercase Capital. Tala is headquartered in Santa Monica with additional offices in Nairobi, Manila, Dar Es Salaam, Mexico City, and Bangalore.
Tala is a mission-driven mobile technology and data science company that’s opening up financial access for underserved people globally. Tala’s smartphone app uses alternative data to deliver instant credit and help customers build their financial identities. Unlike traditional credit scoring, our proprietary underwriting models draw on thousands of mobile data points including network diversity, social connectedness, geographic patterns, and financial transactions to score customers in real time, without a need for formal credit history.
Want to learn more about TALA? Visit TALA's website.
Jobs You May Like
Customer Support Specialist eCommerce (Dutch/English)
Lightspeed, Amsterdam, NL
Customer Success Representative (Fluent in Dutch)
Shopify, Ireland - Remote
Customer Success Manager
Part Time Brand Rep, Sales Associate
Outdoor Voices, Dallas, TX
Community Manager - Barcelona
Scopely, Barcelona, Spain
Knowledge Base Specialist
OfferUp, OfferUp HQ