We’re looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to design and implement core components of our financial platform and scale it to serve millions of users across India. The technical scope of the project is broad and calls for technical expertise across a wide range of problem domains.
As a senior member of the engineering team, we expect you to work with cross-functional teams (product, data science, credit) to ship scalable software solutions. You value the craftsmanship of clean and efficient code as well as solving problems using the most appropriate technology. You help set the standards and drive your teammates’ productivity.
- Design and implement product features as defined in the roadmap
- Own and maintain substantial portions of the backend infrastructure
- Build cutting-edge platform to facilitate data science iterations
- Mentor engineers on best practices and code efficiency
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals
- 5+ years experience working on backend software using modern languages and frameworks (Java, Scala, Python, Play, Django)
- Strong relational database experience (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, or MS SQL)
- Working knowledge in API development for mobile/web use
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Expert proficiency in Agile development process
- Experience with India Stack integrations (particularly Aadhaar - eKYC / eSign and UPI)
- Experience with financial services
- Advanced degree in Computer Science and/or Math
- Excellent ability to prioritize and communication in a fast pace environment
Bonus: Experience in predictive analysis and machine learning
Tala is a mobile technology and data science company that is changing the way credit scoring and financial services work around the world. Tala’s smartphone app instantly evaluates customers for credit using only the data on their devices and delivers customized loans in minutes.
Tala, formerly known as InVenture, is backed by IVP, Ribbit Capital, Lowercase Capital, Data Collective, Collaborative Fund and other leading venture and impact investors. In 2016, Fast Company ranked Tala, formerly known as InVenture, as one of its top 10 companies in Money, and Forbes named Tala as one of the top 50 FinTech companies in the world. Tala is headquartered in Santa Monica with additional offices in Nairobi and Manila.
Tala is a mission-driven mobile technology and data science company that’s opening up financial access for underserved people globally. Tala’s smartphone app uses alternative data to deliver instant credit and help customers build their financial identities. Unlike traditional credit scoring, our proprietary underwriting models draw on thousands of mobile data points including network diversity, social connectedness, geographic patterns, and financial transactions to score customers in real time, without a need for formal credit history.