The Engineering Manager (EM) manages and recruits a team of Backend Engineers. As a coach and mentor, the EM guides the team towards advancing Tala’s mission and business objectives. As a leader within the engineering guild, ensure the consistent practice of Tala’s engineering processes and standards. Close interactions with the US office and quarterly travel are vital to the success of this role.
This is a leadership role in Tala’s management track. You will report to the Head of Engineering and collaborate cross-functionally with all Tala teams across the globe.
- Lead and manage current team of Backend Engineers to execute on current roadmap
- Effectively manage team as a highly technical and hands-on coder when needed
- Recruit, mentor, and level-up 5-10 Engineers
- Review design documents, perform code reviews and weigh in on implementation choices
- Support and collaborate with cross-functional teams (Product, Data, Credit, and Business Development) to ship scalable software solutions
- Continually improve our codebase with clean and efficient code as well as solving problems using the most appropriate technology
- Build, own, and maintain substantial portions of the backend infrastructure related to 3rd party services (Payment Rails, SMS/Email, KYC, Analytics, etc.), for 3-5 new services
- Design and architect technical designs and TDD (Test Driven Development) to solve engineering challenges
- Provide guidance for integrations with external partners including banks, fintech companies, and mobile network operators.
Skills & Experience:
- 5+ years of software engineering experience, including hands-on technical management
- 5+ years coding in one of the following languages: C++, Java, Scala, Python, GoLang and/or PHP
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and manage technical teams, including performance management
- Developed and launched large-scale consumer applications on Cloud infrastructure (AWS, Google Cloud, or Azure) using microservices architecture paradigm
- Experience with designing tables/schemas in relational database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, or MS SQL)
- Working knowledge of REST API development for mobile/web use
- Expert proficiency in Agile development process
- Excellent ability to prioritize and communicate in a fast-paced environment
- BS/BA degree in Computer Science or related field
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Hold your own in technical discussion, be a subject matter expert, and have strategic influence
- Bonus: Experience in predictive analysis and machine learning
- Bonus: NoSQL databases
We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse team with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We focus on hiring talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Tala is the leading mobile technology and data science company committed to financial inclusion globally. Millions of people have borrowed through Tala's smartphone app, which provides instant, personalized credit to underserved customers in East Africa, Southeast Asia, and Latin America. Tala is backed by leading venture and impact investors including PayPal, Revolution Growth, IVP, and Lowercase Capital. Tala is headquartered in Santa Monica with additional offices in Nairobi, Manila, Dar Es Salaam, Mexico City, and Bangalore.
Tala is a mission-driven mobile technology and data science company that’s opening up financial access for underserved people globally. Tala’s smartphone app uses alternative data to deliver instant credit and help customers build their financial identities. Unlike traditional credit scoring, our proprietary underwriting models draw on thousands of mobile data points including network diversity, social connectedness, geographic patterns, and financial transactions to score customers in real time, without a need for formal credit history.
Want to learn more about TALA? Visit TALA's website.
Jobs You May Like
Front End Engineer
Clubhouse.io, New York, NY USA
Fullstack Software Engineer
Grand Rounds, San Francisco, CA
Insider, Istanbul, Turkey
Enterprise Sales Engineer - Austin
IT Support Specialist
Udemy, San Francisco, California, USA
Senior Solutions Engineer
JW Player, Singapore