Each day brings more chores and less time to accomplish them. Whether someone needs a handyman, house cleaner, mover or delivery person, TaskRabbit delights clients by matching the right skilled person in minutes. With our support, our customers can accomplish it all not only today, but also on-demand to be their most productive self. On the other side of the marketplace we help our Taskers earn a living by setting their own prices, defining their working hours, and giving them control to help people when and how they want in the most supportive marketplace.
We're a mission-driven company. Our culture is collaborative, pragmatic and fast-paced. We're looking for talented, entrepreneurially minded and data-driven people who also have a passion for helping people do what they love - and having a ton of fun while they're at it.
Join us and help revolutionize everyday work.
About the Role
You will be a member of the Data Group: Data Engineering, Data Science, and Data Analytics. We are a force multiplier, owning the data, analysis, and knowledge infrastructure that enables ourselves and our teammates to move faster and smarter.
The Data Engineering team is part of the TaskRabbit technical staff, but is separate from the Product Engineering team and sets its own goals and priorities. Data Engineering collaborates directly with Product Engineering, DevOps, Marketing, and Operations.
1) Own the core data engineering infrastructure
Currently, our production and analytics systems are hosted in AWS. Key existing components are:
- MySQL datawarehouse in Aurora
- ElasticSearch cluster for event data
- Looker UI on top of Aurora
- Homegrown ETL tool(s)
As more people use TaskRabbit, we are outgrowing some of our data infrastructure, especially when it comes to event streaming. You will have the opportunity to radically alter, evolve and improve our data infrastructure, bringing in new tools and technologies to help us scale.
A Senior Data Engineer is expected to have wide-ranging experience with ETL tools, SQL and NoSQL databases, AWS, and big-data systems (ideally the Hadoop ecosystem).
2) Coordinating and collaborating with Product Managers, Software Architects, and DevOps to ensure that the TaskRabbit data infrastructure plays nice with production systems and scales alongside.
3) Team leadership and mentoring
Initially, as the Data Engineering team starts, there is plenty of opportunity for individual contribution, but as the Data Engineering team grows, the Senior Data Engineer will shift from primarily an individual contributor role to a team lead role. Also, a Senior Data Engineer is expected to collaborate with, teach and mentor junior members of the team.
Background and Experience
We welcome applicants from a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Below gives you a sense of how we're thinking about what you'll need to be successful in the role.
- 5+ years experience, comfortable working independently
- SQL and NoSQL databases
- Big Data systems, ideally the Hadoop ecosystem
- High-throughput event streaming systems
- Bonus: familiarity with Python, nodejs, Ruby
- Agile. Intelligent. Creative. Problem-solver. Startup lover. You like making things happen.
- We're looking for people that have a passion for technology and problem solving.
- You have contributed to an open source software project. Show us your github account, we'd love to see what you're enjoy working on.
- You're familiar with our product and have some ideas on things you'd want to add or change!
Benefits & Perks
- Challenge: The opportunity for growth in a fast-paced, progressive company is yours for the taking. Game on!
- Monthly task stipend: Use the product you’re working on and outsource errands you don’t want to do
- Medical benefits & PTO: Great health coverage with dental and vision benefits (TR pays 100% premiums and pays for One Medical membership), 12 weeks, 100% paid parental leave, pre-tax commuter benefits and FSA, 401k plan + matching, 20 PTO days/year + 13 paid holidays
- Education: A series of Lunch and Learn events (we call it “Learnch”), quarterly company-wide trainings and an annual learning and development stipend for your personal use
- Office: A huge, dog-friendly SOMA loft built to accommodate collaboration, with two fully- stocked kitchens and a game room. Free lunch every day!
- Fun: Awesome off-site adventures, weekly meditation, yoga, annual charity events? Yes!
About us TaskRabbit is revolutionizing how work gets done - for our Taskers, our Clients and importantly, our employees. We were founded back in 2008 and are one of the pioneers of the Sharing Economy. Since then, we've been building a peer-to-peer marketplace that safely and reliably connects neighbors to get things done.