Senior Database Administrator
TCGplayer, Atlanta, GA
See jobs at TCGplayer
Senior Database Administrator
Director, Technical Operations
Who We Are
At TCGplayer, we provide eCommerce and software services that connect the collectible gaming industry. We’re best known for being the top online marketplace and price resource for trading card games like Magic: The Gathering, Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokémon. We also provide services to local game stores across the country to help them grow their businesses. Our order fulfillment program helps local game stores streamline shipping for their online orders, saving them time and money.
Technical Operations is responsible for the stability, reliability, release and deployment of TCGplayer.com technology. Our primary function is to increase the efficiency of the organization through well designed automation and infrastructure.
As a Senior DBA you will work closely with engineering and architecture to increase stability and reliability of our database platforms. You will be responsible for 24/7 operations of our databases, creating and maintaining efficient procedures and queries. Ultimately you will execute and automate operational processes quickly, accurately and securely. Your responsibilities will include deploying product updates, identifying production issues and implementing integrations that meet TCGplayer needs. If you have a solid background in database administration, MSSQL Server and other database technologies, we’d love to meet you.
- Providing database administration and system support for existing database environments to improve performance of the following related tasks: software installation, patch installation, upgrades, query writing, configuration, database creation, security, system monitoring and tuning, disaster recovery planning, implementation and backup and recovery
- Working collaboratively with developers on database design planning and implementation
- Providing guidance and support to development teams with query optimization, proper stored procedure usage, indexing optimization and schema optimization
- Monitoring critical business systems using tools such as New Relic, Idera and custom monitoring
- Understanding cloud systems such as AWS and how to optimize, configure and deploy databases using cloud technologies
- Taking lead in the database deployment process and assisting DevOps team during code deployments
- Demonstrating a high level of initiative and attention to detail during daily operations
- Integrating CI/CD pipelines into database solutions
- Actively participating as part of an on-call team
Competency (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- MSSQL Server 2014/2016
- Windows/Linux server administration
- Thorough understanding of database architecture design (particularly in an AWS environment)
- Ability to compare/contrast RDBMS platforms
- RDBMS, NoSQL, caching technologies (MSSQL, Postgres, Redis, Elasticsearch, MySQL, etc.)
- 5+ years hands-on administration of MSSQL Server 2014/2016
- 3-5 years of experience as a DBA with another non-MSSQL RDBMS (Oracle, Postgres, MySQL, Aurora, Maria, etc.)
- Expert in high availability using Failover Clustered Instances or Availability Groups
- Deep understanding of data modeling for web-based applications and services
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently within a geographically dispersed agile team
- Positive attitude and the ability to think outside of the box to solve complex problems
- A minimum of 5 years of experience is preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology or a related field
- Uses expertise in both RDBMS, NoSQL and caching solutions to work collaboratively with architects and engineers to arrive at the ideal data solution for the business
- 3-5 years experience in query optimization
- 3-5 years experience in indexing optimization
The role involves the following physical demands on a regular basis:
- Mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer
- Sitting or standing for an extended period of time, up to eight hours per day
- Ability to use vision to read computer screen and read printed materials
- Frequently required to stand, talk and hear
- Ability to work in an open office environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
TCGplayer is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
About us TCGplayer.com is a leading digital marketplace with a focus on collectible gaming. We connect buyers and sellers from around the world, empowering them with revolutionary technology, real-time pricing data and outstanding customer service. Our company culture is community-focused and collaborative. We’re always innovating, so we maintain an environment that stimulates constant learning and growth. For example, we periodically fly all remote technology staff to our headquarters to partake in a group hackathon. We also provide flexible and progressive benefits that start on your first day of work to help ease the transition to life at TCGplayer. And since our success depends on every team member, every employee gets stock options. TCGplayer is a nationally recognized and award-winning workplace. Fortune.com declared us one of the 100 Best Workplaces for Women, and we’ve been named one of the Best Companies to Work for in New York two years in a row. Plus, the majority of employees consider TCGplayer a great place to work.