Director of Engineering - Data Holdings Group
Who We Are
TCGplayer promotes and drives growth of our products and services by connecting a global community of millions of buyers with tens of thousands of retailers in a $25B global collectible hobby market.
TCGplayer’s Engineering organization is expanding, and we need to specialize our leadership to pursue the multiple venues that we’re digging deeper into. The Engineering Organization provides new capabilities to the hobbyist community, including enabling hobbyists purchasing items through our marketplace, collecting cards and collectibles, and enjoying the hobbies we support.
Who You Are
We’re searching for a Director to run our Data Holdings Group here at TCGplayer. Our core responsibility here at TCGplayer is to manage, share, and distribute information about the hobby industry and products, and you will be leading that effort. You will be responsible for our RDBMS, Elastic Search, Redis, and Data Warehouse holdings, and you will also lead up our Analytics teams and Business Intelligence Team. If you’re familiar with multiple data stores, massively upscaling repositories and systems for 100x+ growth, and firmly understand the analytics space, then this position will be right for you!
The Impact You Will Make Here
- You will engage a team to revamp our data stores to handle massive upscaling and help lead the task of realigning our software holdings to take advantage of that new architecture
- You will align our data warehouse efforts to support all of our new infrastructure, including CDP, EDP, Amplitude, Hubspot, Tableau and all the teams using those products
- You will create and expand our analytics practices to support our fulfillment center, our product org, our finance org, our marketing org, and our c-level team
- You will head up a project to create a data holding for our collections capabilities
- You will coordinate the changes that occur within our repositories to ensure data integrity across all TCGplayer holdings
What You Bring to the Team
- 5+ years of experience managing a team of at least 25-50 engineers with multiple layers of management
- Experience in leading data store teams across multiple disciplines (RDBMS, key-value, NoSQL, Elastic, Data Warehouse)
- Experience running an analytics organization
- Experience with complex data structures
- Experience with OLTP and the needs of a high speed transaction-based system
- Expertise in Agile best practices, Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery and specific tooling related to data store areas
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
You’ll Go Beyond If You Have
Familiarity in the .NET space and experience in high-volume, always-on web development
Interest and experience with the hobby or gaming industries
TCGplayer is the largest marketplace for trading card games in the world, with nearly 1 billion dollars in sales. Founded by Chedy Hampson & Ray Moore as a digital media platform within the collectible hobby space, we have grown from our initial roots working inside Syracuse-based hobby stores selling comic books, sports cards, CD’s, collectible cards, action figures, and tabletop games, into an expansive eCommerce marketplace that connects a global community of millions of buyers with tens of thousands of retailers. TCGplayer maintains the largest authoritative database of historical and current prices for the most popular trading card games, and this data powers and connects an entire industry of publishers, buyers, sellers, influencers & developers.
We have been ranked amongst New York State’s 50 best employers and Fortune.com’s top 100 companies for women in the U.S and certified a Great Place to Work by our employees 5 years in a row. Our entire team prides itself on creating a culture that fosters camaraderie, embraces diversity, and exudes passion. We believe every team member contributes to our success and as such, we provide stock options to all 400 employees, growing to 500 strong by the end of 2021.
With the largest marketplace for collectible card games, in-store tools for local gaming stores and industry leading fulfillment center to deliver products from sellers to buyers, we bring our innovative technologies and customer focused approach to the $25B global collectibles hobby market.
About us TCGplayer.com is a leading digital marketplace with a focus on collectible gaming. We connect buyers and sellers from around the world, empowering them with revolutionary technology, real-time pricing data and outstanding customer service. Our company culture is community-focused and collaborative. We’re always innovating, so we maintain an environment that stimulates constant learning and growth. For example, we periodically fly all remote technology staff to our headquarters to partake in a group hackathon. We also provide flexible and progressive benefits that start on your first day of work to help ease the transition to life at TCGplayer. And since our success depends on every team member, every employee gets stock options. TCGplayer is a nationally recognized and award-winning workplace. Fortune.com declared us one of the 100 Best Workplaces for Women, and we’ve been named one of the Best Companies to Work for in New York two years in a row. Plus, the majority of employees consider TCGplayer a great place to work.
Want to learn more about TCGplayer? Visit TCGplayer's website.
DICE is on a mission to get people out more. We bring incredible live shows and