Content Strategist - Education
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, Palo Alto
Advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands how to address our society’s challenges better than those who live them everyday. These partners help us identify problems and opportunities, learn fast and iterate toward our audacious goals for the next century. We strive to be humble, empathetic and scrappy life-long learners who work collaboratively to develop community-centered solutions.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative actively seeks a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.
We're looking for a Content Strategist to join the education team. Our education team supports multiple efforts, including the development of the Summit Learning Platform in conjunction with Summit Public Schools. Summit Public Schools is a leading charter management and school partnership organization operating 11 Summit schools in California and Washington States, and supporting more than 330 schools across 27 states. Summit launched its first school with the belief that all students should be equipped with the skills and habits to lead the lives they want. Students graduating from their schools will obtain a deep understanding of how they learn best and a clear vision for achieving purpose and wellbeing in life. Its schools are consistently ranked among the top in the country and ninety-eight percent of graduates are accepted into at least one four-year college.
Our education design team is responsible for improving how:
- Teachers facilitate personalized projects where students can build and demonstrate cognitive skills.
- Students work through content and assessments at their own pace.
- Teachers individualize instruction using real-time data.
- Students work with teacher mentors to develop a growth mindset, emotional intelligence, and self-directed learning skills.
As a Content Strategist for Education, you will plan, design and continually improve in-product communication to facilitate people’s interaction with the Summit Learning Platform. You will construct consistent and appropriate content for multiple user groups, including students, teachers, school leaders and parents. You will also lead the development of standards used to guide how our product should communicate. If you are mission-driven and are committed to building transformative technologies, we want to hear from you.
The position is full-time and based in our Palo Alto headquarters.
- Work as part of cross-functional team of designers, product managers, researchers, engineers and educational experts to identify content opportunities
- Plan high-quality content that contributes to great user experiences and meets product goals
- Craft clear, concise, jargon-free content (including interaction flows, navigation elements, product names, onboarding experiences and notifications) for diverse audiences
- Contribute to strategic product decisions from a content strategy perspective
- Evaluate, test and improve existing content to continually raise quality bar
- Develop and document guidelines for voice and tone and evangelize them organization-wide
- Partner with product, marketing and education experts to carefully consider content across touchpoints, optimize workflows, and increase quality and consistency
- 4+ years of experience in content strategist or UX writing role
- Ability to expertly craft and edit clear, concise, jargon-free content
- Ability to analyze, synthesize and evangelize content opportunities
- Understanding of UX design and interaction best practices
- Highly collaborative with strong communication and diplomacy skills
- Experience developing web content for diverse audiences (experience creating content for multi-age, multilingual audiences and content that’s accessible for people with disabilities preferred)
- Ability to thrive with minimal direction in a fast-moving, startup environment
- Passionate about promoting equal opportunity in education
- Portfolio of web and/or mobile writing samples
- Experience working within cross-functional UX teams preferred
- Prior experience developing style guides, content standards or pattern libraries preferred
- Prior experience developing educational content or working on learning platforms preferred
ABOUT THE CHAN ZUCKERBERG INITIATIVE
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched in December 2015 by Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Facebook and Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder and CEO of The Primary School in East Palo Alto. The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is a new kind of philanthropic organization dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity through world-class engineering, grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. Initial areas of focus include supporting science through basic biomedical research and education through personalized learning. CZI is also exploring ways to build stronger, more equitable communities through affordable housing and criminal justice reform. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.
About The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
WHO WE ARE The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, founded by Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan in December 2015, is a new kind of philanthropic organization that brings together world-class engineering, grant-making, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. Our initial areas of focus include supporting science through basic biomedical research and education through personalized learning. We are also exploring other issues tied to the promotion of equal opportunity including access to affordable housing and criminal justice reform. We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing world-class engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress. We make long-term investments because important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries. We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day. These partners help us identify problems and opportunities, learn fast, and iterate toward our goals for the next century. We strive to be lifelong learners who work collaboratively across functions in service of our mission.
Want to learn more about The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative? Visit The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative's website.
Jobs You May Like
Technical Publishing Specialist
Genscape, Houston, TX
Blue State Digital, BOS
Data Scientist, Discovery & Personalization
Coursera, Mountain View, CA
Coach- Registered Dietitian, Digital Platform
Habit, Oakland HQ
SimilarWeb, Tel Aviv
JUMO, Cape Town, South Africa