Senior Data Engineer, Meta, Science
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, Redwood City, CA
Advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity.
Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
Our mission is to support science and technology that will help make it possible to cure, prevent, or manage all diseases by the end of the century. Interdisciplinary teams of physicians, biologists, computational scientists, and engineers can expand our understanding of the human body and illness — the very science behind medicine. CZI fosters collaboration between scientists and engineers, develops tools and technologies, and builds support for basic scientific research. Examples of the work CZI Science is supporting include the Human Cell Atlas, a global project to create a complete reference map of all the cells in the human body; and the Chan Zuckerberg Biohub, an independent nonprofit research hub to bring scientists and engineers together from Stanford, UCSF, UC Berkeley, along with the engineering team from CZI.
Meta's Data Platform Team (DPT) builds the infrastructure and data processing pipelines to assemble a comprehensive knowledge graph for scientific data that serves the meta.org product as well as researchers in Machine Learning, NLP and the life sciences.
Members of the team have a direct impact on all the data needs of Meta and its products to accelerate science and literature discovery. You will work closely with other DPT team members, with our research science team, and with our analytics team to design, build and support technical solutions. You will also support us in our ongoing goal of cultivating a culture of shared best practices and knowledge around data engineering.
- Partner with the Meta research team bring ML models to production for Meta.org
Lead the design and implementation of robust machine learning pipelines
- Design, build, analyze and improve the efficiency, stability, and resiliency of data processing pipelines and Meta's knowledge graph for scientific literature data
- 6+ years relevant coding experience
- Exposure to Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Deep knowledge of an object-oriented systems language such as Java
- Deep Knowledge of a scripting language such as Python, Bash, Scala
- Experience with modern and leading edge ML & BigData platforms and technologies such as Spark, Hadoop, SciPy, NumPy, Pandas
- Knowledge/Experience with NLP pipelines/techniques using technologies/tools like TensorFlow, Pytorch, Keras an advantage
About The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
WHO WE ARE The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, founded by Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan in December 2015, is a new kind of philanthropic organization that brings together world-class engineering, grant-making, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. Our initial areas of focus include supporting science through basic biomedical research and education through personalized learning. We are also exploring other issues tied to the promotion of equal opportunity including access to affordable housing and criminal justice reform. We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing world-class engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress. We make long-term investments because important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries. We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day. These partners help us identify problems and opportunities, learn fast, and iterate toward our goals for the next century. We strive to be lifelong learners who work collaboratively across functions in service of our mission.