Senior Fullstack Engineer, Science
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, Redwood City, CA
Advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity.
Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Our mission is to create a future for everyone. Across our three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
By pairing engineers with leaders in our education, science, and justice and opportunity teams, we can bring technology to the table in new ways to help drive solutions. We are uniquely positioned to design, build, and scale software systems to help educators, scientists, and policy experts better address the myriad challenges they face. Our technology team is already helping schools bring personalized learning tools to teachers and schools across the country and supporting scientists around the world as they develop a comprehensive reference atlas of all cells in the human body.
We are seeking a full stack software engineer to join our team of application and tool builders, focused upon the exploration, visualization and transformation of scientific data. You will have the opportunity to work closely with a collaborative team of scientists, engineers, product managers, designers and user researchers, building software that accelerates the pace of the biological sciences. Example projects include exploration of high dimensionality data describing the characteristics of single cells (cellxgene), next-generation visualization of microscopy data (napari), and analysis pipelines for spatial transcriptomics (starfish). This is an excellent opportunity for a person with extraordinary engineering skills and a passion for science.
- Build tools and applications to explore, manage and analyze scientific data
- Collaborate on open source, community software projects
- Work in a multi-disciplinary team, with engineers, scientists, product managers, designers and user researchers, to define product plans and strategy
You have diverse and robust software engineering skills, with experience in full-stack development, an interest in biology and the CZI mission, and a desire to build user-centered solutions.
- 5+ years of software design, development and delivery
- 3+ years using relevant technologies, including the web and Python stacks, public clouds, and other related technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and use new methods and tools, define project requirements and ship completed projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
About The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
WHO WE ARE The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, founded by Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan in December 2015, is a new kind of philanthropic organization that brings together world-class engineering, grant-making, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. Our initial areas of focus include supporting science through basic biomedical research and education through personalized learning. We are also exploring other issues tied to the promotion of equal opportunity including access to affordable housing and criminal justice reform. We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing world-class engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress. We make long-term investments because important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries. We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day. These partners help us identify problems and opportunities, learn fast, and iterate toward our goals for the next century. We strive to be lifelong learners who work collaboratively across functions in service of our mission.