Software Engineer, Data Infrastructure
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, Redwood City
Advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity.
Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s demonstrating technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we're pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and balanced future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with domain authorities to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
By pairing engineers with leaders in our education, science, and justice and opportunity teams, we can bring technology to the table in new ways to help drive solutions. We are uniquely positioned to design, build, and scale software systems to help educators, scientists, and policy experts better address the myriad challenges they face. Our technology team is already helping schools bring personalized learning tools to teachers and schools across the country and supporting scientists around the world as they develop a comprehensive reference atlas of all cells in the human body.
The Infrastructure organization works on building shared tools and platforms to be used across all of the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative. Members of the data infrastructure engineering team have an impact on all of CZI's initiatives by enabling the technology solutions used by other engineering teams at CZI to scale. A person in this role will build these technology solutions and help to cultivate a culture of shared standard methodologies and knowledge around data engineering.
- Be an integral part of the design and build of our shared core Data Platform
- Create and build tools and libraries, to help 5+ engineering teams lead and query their data expertly
- Evangelize and educate teams across CZI on standard methodologies around data services development, data privacy and security, as well as improving efficiency
- Help teams improve their data operations by automating manual processes, optimizing data storage and delivery, re-designing infrastructure for scalability
- Analyze and improve efficiency, stability, and security of CZI data warehouses across our Education, Science, and Justice & Opportunity initiatives
- Work with our Data Scientists to enable and optimize their data and data services usage
- Experience with developing and maintaining custom and non-proprietary software based data platform infrastructure services
- Experience with a systems language such as C, C++, C#, Go, Java or Scala
- Experience with a scripting language such as Python, PHP, or Ruby
- Experience developing data solutions using storage platforms like S3, Cassandra, Hbase, and using data warehouse systems like Snowflake, Redshift, Cosmos DB, or BigQuery
- Experience developing applications and solutions using data ecosystem components such as Spark, Flink, Solr, Redis, InfluxDB, Elasticsearch
- Experience with Stream Processing platforms such as Kafka, Kinesis, Pulsar
- Experience working with cloud services such as AWS, Google Cloud, Azure
- Experience with building and integrating logging, alerting, and monitoring as an integral part of data platform services
About The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
WHO WE ARE The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, founded by Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan in December 2015, is a new kind of philanthropic organization that brings together world-class engineering, grant-making, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. Our initial areas of focus include supporting science through basic biomedical research and education through personalized learning. We are also exploring other issues tied to the promotion of equal opportunity including access to affordable housing and criminal justice reform. We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing world-class engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress. We make long-term investments because important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries. We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day. These partners help us identify problems and opportunities, learn fast, and iterate toward our goals for the next century. We strive to be lifelong learners who work collaboratively across functions in service of our mission.