Senior Accountant, Operations
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, Redwood City, CA
Advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity.
Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
The ideal person will be an integral part of the procurement process, interfacing and assisting the business with purchase requisitions and purchase orders. You will be primarily responsible for processing full cycle accounts payable, reviewing expense reimbursements, and managing AMEX transactions. Additionally, you will participate in a variety of ad hoc projects and process improvements. You will be a key team member on the Accounting team, and you’ll play a huge role in efforts to grow our team as we scale with the broader organization.
- Participate in the month-end close process as it pertains to the Procure to Pay Cycle (Accruals, AP, Prepaids, Expense Accruals, etc.) by preparing journal entries and performing account reconciliations
- Assist in the development of the full scale procurement process, including partnering with the legal department, partial system implementation, training, and overall maintenance
- Manage varying aspects of accounting operations including expense reimbursement reporting, credit card management, and PO and Invoice management and processing
- Assist the Accounting Manager in ad hoc special projects and process improvements
- 3-5 years of accounting experience, preferably public accounting experience
- Outstanding communication skills (written and verbal), as well as demonstrate strong interpersonal instincts
- Independent, critical thinking skills, and the ability to collaboratively problem solve
- A strong desire for customer service and process improvement
- Experience thriving in the details, with a keen eye for big-picture financial impact
- Bonus Points: Experience in a dynamic and rapidly growing commercial organization in any procurement or accounts payable position
About The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
WHO WE ARE The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, founded by Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan in December 2015, is a new kind of philanthropic organization that brings together world-class engineering, grant-making, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. Our initial areas of focus include supporting science through basic biomedical research and education through personalized learning. We are also exploring other issues tied to the promotion of equal opportunity including access to affordable housing and criminal justice reform. We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing world-class engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress. We make long-term investments because important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries. We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day. These partners help us identify problems and opportunities, learn fast, and iterate toward our goals for the next century. We strive to be lifelong learners who work collaboratively across functions in service of our mission.