Vice President, Policy
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, Redwood City
Advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity.
This role at CZI is an opportunity for an accomplished executive to lead our policy efforts across a set of diverse areas at a fast paced and innovative philanthropic organization. You will have the opportunity to work on some of the most pressing domestic issues facing the United States; lead and grow a talented team; and work cross-functionally with high performing and accomplished colleagues on a shared mission and on shared projects. Policy at CZI is not a Government Relations-only approach, it’s understanding and helping to leverage all the tools at our disposal: advocacy, organizing, technology, storytelling as well as great Government Relations — on behalf of and in conjunction with our partners to help bring about short-term progress and longer-term change.
- Manage teams working on policy across science, education, issues related to justice and opportunity, including criminal justice reform, housing, immigration and the economy, as well as local Bay Area work
- Build a holistic and coordinated approach to government interactions for CZI across all of our portfolios. This is an opportunity to do so largely from scratch.
- Recruit, support and retain a highly talented team
- Lead a team and develop strategies for both short-term needs but also years or even decades-long policy aims
- Bring thoughtful leadership and strategies to finding ways to work with state, local and the federal government to enable scale of technology, programs and policy reform
- Expertly and effectively representing CZI in relevant meeting with policy makers and other key stakeholders
- Partner with other key leaders at CZI to represent policy at leadership tables to ensure all levers are being utilized to support priority projects
- Ensure CZI is supporting our grantees and partners in smart ways from a policy perspective to further their goals
- 15+ years experience as a solutions-driven practitioner in the domestic policy world including at least 5 years of people management experience managing a team of at least 6 people
- Experience managing complex stakeholder relationships with government, policy, and advocacy partners
- Deep knowledge and experience working with state and local governments
- Demonstrated ability to build new teams and supportive systems and cultures
- Proven ability to navigate complex organizations and processes to deliver results
- Ability to work collaboratively to support work across multiple teams and outcomes
- Proven ability to make decisions in fluid environments with limited information at times
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to engage internal and external stakeholders, at all levels
About The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
WHO WE ARE The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, founded by Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan in December 2015, is a new kind of philanthropic organization that brings together world-class engineering, grant-making, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. Our initial areas of focus include supporting science through basic biomedical research and education through personalized learning. We are also exploring other issues tied to the promotion of equal opportunity including access to affordable housing and criminal justice reform. We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing world-class engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress. We make long-term investments because important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries. We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day. These partners help us identify problems and opportunities, learn fast, and iterate toward our goals for the next century. We strive to be lifelong learners who work collaboratively across functions in service of our mission.
Want to learn more about The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative? Visit The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative's website.
Jobs You May Like
Chief Accounting Officer
General Assembly, New York, NY
Senior Software Developer C++
Vigilant - a DRW Company, Montreal
Manager of Global Equity
Shopify, Ottawa, Elgin - HQ
Vice President, M&A
Lincoln International, Chicago, IL
Zoox, Foster City, CA
Teamable, San Francisco, CA