Senior User Experience Researcher, Education
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, Redwood City
Advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity.
Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
Our work in education is aimed at ensuring that every student — not just a lucky few — can get an education that’s tailored to their individual needs and supports every aspect of their development. We’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work to help every young person enter adulthood with the skills and abilities they need to reach their full potential — and equip every teacher with the tools and research they need to help students get there. Examples of the work CZI's education team supports include the Summit Learning Program, a personalized approach to teaching and learning that enhances the quality of student-teacher interactions and empowers educators to tailor instruction to individual student needs; Valor Collegiate Academies in their work promoting young people's social emotional development; and NeuroTeach Global, a professional development tool training teachers on how to apply the latest scientific discovery on how students learn into their classroom practice.
By pairing engineers with leaders in our education, science, and justice and opportunity teams, we can bring technology to the table in new ways to help drive solutions. We are uniquely positioned to design, build, and scale software systems to help educators, scientists, and policy experts better address the myriad challenges they face.
Our Technology team is seeking a User Experience Researcher to design/conduct mixed-method research and communicate research insights in a way that promotes impact on product design, development, and strategy. In this role, you will collaborate with cross-functional teammates and external partners in shaping the future of the Summit Learning Platform.
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners to translate their curiosities into actionable research questions
- Design mixed-methods studies to help your teams learn about student/teacher attitudes and behaviors
- Involve team members in generative research to identify high impact problems faced by teachers, students, school administrators and parents
- Collaborate with product team to generate concepts that address problems
- Iteratively evaluate low and high fidelity software concepts with appropriate user groups
- Analyze data and convey insights in clear, illustrative ways that help the team learn about classroom behavior, inspire product strategy and encourage design iteration
- Combine quantitative and qualitative data to determine the success of features during pilots and post-launch
- Participate in critique by sharing and receiving constructive feedback
- Build a library of insights over time for the organization to continually reference
- Passion for impacting the future of education. Prior experience working with educators and students.
- 5+ years experience in applied product research
- Experience in selecting and executing qualitative methods: interviews, contextual inquiry, focus groups, diary studies, concept/usability evaluation
- Experience in selecting and executing quantitative methods: surveys, statistical analysis, experimentation
- Demonstrated ability to communicate research insights to cross-functional teams and leadership in a way that promotes impact on product design, development and strategy
- Demonstrated ability to identify new product opportunities by connecting people problems, analytics and organizational goals
- Willingness to occasionally travel to conduct in-context research
- Enthusiasm to work independently and thrive in a dynamic environment with high-growth and ambiguity
- Strong analytical thinking, problem-solving and ability to prioritize
- Strong background and experience in human-computer interaction, psychology, sociology, or a related field
About The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
WHO WE ARE The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, founded by Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan in December 2015, is a new kind of philanthropic organization that brings together world-class engineering, grant-making, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. Our initial areas of focus include supporting science through basic biomedical research and education through personalized learning. We are also exploring other issues tied to the promotion of equal opportunity including access to affordable housing and criminal justice reform. We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing world-class engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress. We make long-term investments because important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries. We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day. These partners help us identify problems and opportunities, learn fast, and iterate toward our goals for the next century. We strive to be lifelong learners who work collaboratively across functions in service of our mission.
Want to learn more about The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative? Visit The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative's website.
Jobs You May Like
Sr. Splunk Security Consultant | Remote, USA
Optiv, Denver CO, US
Principal Software Machine Learning Engineer
Twilio, Denver, CO
Audio Visual Technician
Cloudflare, San Francisco, CA
Member Technical Staff - SDET
Paytm Labs, Toronto
DevOps / Infrastructure Engineer
PlayStation, Waterloo, ON