Senior User Experience Researcher, Criminal Justice, Justice & Opportunity
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, Redwood City
Advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity.
Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
At CZI we want to be a part of creating a future where every person can enjoy meaningful work, take care of their families, and live in a just society. Our work focuses on finding ways to strengthen our communities and help more families get ahead. We support organizations and partners working in Criminal Justice Reform, Economic Opportunity, Housing Affordability, and Immigration Reform.
At this early stage, it is essential that the justice & opportunity team hires an experienced UX Researcher to help conduct exploratory and generative discovery research. This formative research work will help define what problems we want to design technology solutions for. It will create the exploratory framework that then shapes the team’s approach to building tools to support the movements, communities, leaders, and organizations that align with our programmatic focus areas. We need your skills as a senior UX Researcher to not only help us understand people’s motivations, needs, pain points, desires, expectations, and obstacles, but also to help us uncover the opportunities for technology to make a meaningful impact.
Your generative research insights will help to clarify the problem space, however, you will also lead the evaluative user research efforts to help us assess the usability, desirability, and performance of the technology solutions we build.
You will collaborate with cross-functional teammates not only in the technology team, but also with cross-functional teammates in non-technical teams and with external partners.
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners to translate their curiosities into actionable research questions
- Design mixed-methods studies to help the team learn about attitudes and behaviors in complex social systems (e.g. the criminal justice system)
- Conduct generative research to identify high impact problems
- Iteratively evaluate concepts, designs, and products
- Involve the team in generative and evaluative research and collaborate with them to generate ideas to address problems & opportunities identified by research
- Combine quantitative and qualitative data to develop insights or to analyze success
- Convey insights in clear, compelling, concise, and actionable ways to help the team shape & improve product strategy and design
- Participate in critique by sharing and receiving constructive feedback
- Build a library of insights over time for the organization to continually reference
- Passion about helping shape a country that is just, inclusive, and full of opportunity for all people to thrive with dignity
- Experience conducting generative and evaluative research, leading research efforts for an end-to-end product lifecycle
- Experience in selecting and executing qualitative methods: interviews, ethnography, contextual inquiry, focus groups, diary studies, and concept/usability evaluation
- Experience in selecting and executing quantitative methods: surveys, statistical analysis, and experimentation
- Demonstrated ability to identify new product opportunities by connecting people, problems, analytics and organizational goals
- Demonstrated ability to communicate research insights to cross-functional teams and leadership in a way that promotes impact on product strategy, design, and development
- Willingness to occasionally travel to conduct in-context research
- Enthusiasm to work independently and thrive in a fast-paced environment with high-growth and ambiguity
- Strong analytical thinking, problem-solving and ability to prioritize
- Strong background and experience in human-computer interaction, psychology, sociology, or a related field
- 7+ years experience in applied product research
- 2+ years experience mentoring (or managing) individuals contributors within product research
About The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
WHO WE ARE The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, founded by Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan in December 2015, is a new kind of philanthropic organization that brings together world-class engineering, grant-making, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. Our initial areas of focus include supporting science through basic biomedical research and education through personalized learning. We are also exploring other issues tied to the promotion of equal opportunity including access to affordable housing and criminal justice reform. We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing world-class engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress. We make long-term investments because important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries. We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day. These partners help us identify problems and opportunities, learn fast, and iterate toward our goals for the next century. We strive to be lifelong learners who work collaboratively across functions in service of our mission.
Want to learn more about The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative? Visit The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative's website.
Jobs You May Like
Online Content Editor - Russia (Based in Tel Aviv or London)
Director of Program Management
Checkr, San Francisco
Senior Product Designer, Enterprise
Slack, San Francisco
Product Manager, Retention
Rocket Lawyer, San Francisco
Senior Product Designer, Shopper
Instacart, San Francisco, CA