Data Science Manager, Education
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, Redwood City, CA (Open to Flex)
Advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity.
Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education. Across our core initiatives of Science and Education, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and advocacy, to progress in our mission of building an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
CZI also supports multiple work options. Learn more about our philosophy and approach here.
Our work in education is aimed at ensuring that every student — not just a lucky few — can get an education that’s tailored to their individual needs and supports every aspect of their development. We’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work to help every young person enter adulthood with the skills and abilities they need to reach their full potential — and equip every teacher with the tools and research they need to help students get there. An example of the work CZI's education team supports include the Summit Learning Program, a personalized approach to teaching and learning that enhances the quality of student-teacher interactions and empowers educators to tailor instruction to individual student needs.
We’re looking for a seasoned leader experienced in managing data and applied scientists, who will hire, manage and grow a talented team of technical experts. This senior manager will lead a growing team of data scientists, applied scientists with ICs and managers (6-8) that are responsible for driving strategic decision making with data, drive product experimentations and build data powered products. They will partner closely with product, engineering, design and our partners at Gradient Learning to grow a multi-functional team in data science.
- Inspiring leadership: Create an environment where you attract industry leading talent, manage and grow a stunning team. Build organizational capacity by hiring managers to support growth of a new product and growth of new innovations.
- Strategic partnership: Ability to connect people, systems and data. Deeply understand our EdTech products and near & long term strategies. Build bridges across the organization and bring that context back to your team and infuse it into their work.
- Technical expertise: Guide the multi-functional technical team towards even improved states of their technical abilities.
- Ability to project manage: Bring connection to a large number of areas your team will own by putting standards, prioritization and strategic roadmaps.
- 5+ years of leadership experience, hiring and growing teams, preferably data science and applied science
- Masters degree in a quantitative field (e.g. Statistics, Computer Science, Machine Learning) or relevant experience
- Experience partnering with product, engineering and cross-functional teams to inform, influence, support and execute product strategy and investment decisions
- Cultivate culture of executional excellence and technical rigor
- Support, develop and grow a healthy analytics organization
CZI believes that vaccines are one of the most powerful tools to fight COVID-19 and save lives. It aligns to our mission and work to cure, manage, and prevent disease. Proof of completed COVID-19 vaccination, including eligible booster(s), will be required for all employees (with the exception of reasonable accommodations due to medical or religious beliefs). All visitors coming onsite to a CZI facility are required to show proof of COVID vaccination, including eligible booster(s), or take an onsite COVID test.
About The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
WHO WE ARE The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, founded by Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan in December 2015, is a new kind of philanthropic organization that brings together world-class engineering, grant-making, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. Our initial areas of focus include supporting science through basic biomedical research and education through personalized learning. We are also exploring other issues tied to the promotion of equal opportunity including access to affordable housing and criminal justice reform. We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing world-class engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress. We make long-term investments because important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries. We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day. These partners help us identify problems and opportunities, learn fast, and iterate toward our goals for the next century. We strive to be lifelong learners who work collaboratively across functions in service of our mission.
Want to learn more about The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative? Visit The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.