Why should you take up this challenge?
- You and your team will be able to work on fascinating problems: developing survey methodology for the post-phone era, figuring out the determinants of voter turnout, and learning how to integrate social media data into a major political party’s field program. You’ll never stop learning, and you’ll certainly have stories to tell.
- You’ll get to work with, and hire, amazing people. We’re building a diverse team from a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and walks of life. You’ll get to work with engineers, organizers, campaign managers, volunteer coordinators, communication experts, and numerous others — we’re finding ways to celebrate our differences and use them to make our team better; and
- Last, but certainly not least, you’ll be in a high-leverage position. Rather than publishing papers or improving one organization’s operations, you’ll be able to help the entire Democratic Party work better.
However, to be forthright:
- We've done a lot of budget hacking to get competitive when it comes to salaries. We know we can’t beat Google, Facebook, and others, but we’re not too far off.
- We’re doing something aggressive. We know we are following a non-traditional path and are not in the private sector. We won’t let this hold us back, but, there are different realities when it comes to fundraising and schedules (e.g. elections are immovable dates).
- We have a ton of legacy systems, and this is not a “build everything from the ground up” position. We need to take stock and plot a path forward given what we have.
What we’re looking for:
- We are currently looking for a Data Science Lead to join the D-Tech Data team. We need someone who can do feature selection in their sleep but also communicate well with non-technical audiences. You have high emotional intelligence, value elegant solutions, are pragmatic, and are a stickler for good documentation. You do not need experience in politics or civic tech to apply.
- We are looking for someone who is passionate about statistics and process automation and how the combination of the two can provide decisive edges to our candidates and state parties. Those people are and have
- A strong background in statistics, especially its application in i) predictive modeling, ii) experimental design, and iii) survey methodology;
- A keen understanding of the importance of process automation and reusable tools to a data science team (having engineering skills or experience in this area yourself is a significant plus);
- A vision for how technical disciplines can improve the effectiveness of candidates and state parties, and the ability to communicate that vision -- to field organizers, statisticians, candidates, and computer scientists;
- A passion for documentation, knowledge sharing, and process engineering: coworkers should be able to learn from each other and avoid repeating mistakes.
We also love people who have:
- Previous experience managing people;
- A desire to collaborate and work closely with cross-functional partners;
- A natural curiosity and humility to the way you approach your work;
- A desire to change politics for the better, support the Democratic Party, and optimize the future of our country.
About The Democratic Party
OUR PARTY Since 1848, the Democratic National Committee has been the home of the Democratic Party, the oldest continuing party in the United States. Today we are millions of supporters strong, fighting for progress and helping elect Democrats across the country to state government, Congress, and the White House. There are several core beliefs that tie our party together: Democrats believe that we're greater together than we are on our own—that this country succeeds when everyone gets a fair shot, everyone does their fair share, and everyone plays by the same rules. Our party is focused on building an economy that lifts up all Americans, not just those at the top. That's why Democrats are working to make progress on issues like job creation, equal pay, education, health care, and clean energy.
Want to learn more about The Democratic Party? Visit The Democratic Party's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior Analyst, Marketing Analytics
Casper, New York
Principal Software Engineer, Power
Magic Leap, Inc., Plantation, FL
Chef, Science des données
Shopify, Montreal, Canada
Element AI, Montreal
Sila Nanotechnologies, Alameda, CA
Customer Insights Manager
SurveyMonkey, San Mateo